C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Foglight Improvements???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:05 AM
vette079
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.autoworkshopsupplies.co.n...?categoryId=24

It´s the 886 you want with the angled base (PGJ13) if you have a 1991 C4 like I have, I think they are the same on all years.

I´m in Sweden Europe and ordered these and paid half the price compared to the original ones that only produce 27 watts (34 according to some, but not in my 1991), and that included the shipping from NZ to Sweden.

Funny thing is, that I always run them with park lights only, and the 10 amp fuse still holds.

I wonder if they actually are 50 watts, might take them out and check with a multimeter.

Last edited by vette079; 07-25-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:29 AM
chileverde
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by helphos
I don't use my fogs as 'real' lights, so I'd like to install one of the LED equivalents that would be highly visible but not necessarily useful for lighting the road. I've looked for an 896 equivalent with no luck, but other led lights seem to have the same base (just from looking at the pics). Anyone tried this?
Thanks!
LED bulbs typically only throw light in a narrow direction opposing their mounting base, so a lens reflector with a rear mounted base will be required,

The corvette fog light lenses have a bottom mounted base for the bulb so they will not work.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Legal-Eagle
Instructor

I am currently working on installing some projector lights (with HID bulbs) in the fog light part of the fixture. They will truly be "road lights" when done, with the same intensity and focus at a distance as high-beam headlights.

I will post further stuff on that as I make progress.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:54 PM
chileverde
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sounds cool - too bad there,s not some aftermarket lenses already made with projectors installed.

as for light thrown using hid's in the stock fog lenses, it's definitely a scatter beam but due to the HID's added intensity, it lights up enough to use as low beam headlamps up to legal freeway speeds.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:44 PM
Legal-Eagle
Instructor

Actually, I am installing a complete projector light housing within the stock fixture (on the fog light side), by cutting out part of the reflector and inserting the fixture behind the stock clear lens. So, the projector light will be sitting behind the stock lens, and will shine through it. Stock presentation, with an amazing road light behind the lens.

I will post some photos as I make more progress. One side pretty much done, and the other side is next. I need to re-install the fixtures, get them aimed, and then secure the projector assemblies into the stock fixtures. That will take some cooperation with the shop, and a dark night.

Thanks.

Jay

Quick Reply: Foglight Improvements???