C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake & Rotor Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:56 AM
gtj
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake & Rotor Help Needed

Just bought a 88 Vette which needs brakes. It has the 17" wheels. When I search for brake pads and rotors, most vendors ask if it has a HD suspension and also asks if it has 12" or 13" rotors. Is there any way to tell visually if it has the HD suspension? Thanks
Old 06-24-2010, 09:01 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by gtj
Just bought a 88 Vette which needs brakes. It has the 17" wheels. When I search for brake pads and rotors, most vendors ask if it has a HD suspension and also asks if it has 12" or 13" rotors. Is there any way to tell visually if it has the HD suspension? Thanks
The suspension won't matter but the rotors will. You'll need to check the codes on the build sticker. I don't remember exactly where the sticker is on an 88 but it should be either on the underside of the center console lid or the underside of one of the rear storage compartment lids. J55 is the code for the 13" heavy duty brakes. FE1 is the base suspension and Z51 and Z52 are the optional suspensions. Those codes will be on there too.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:06 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Easy enough to measure the diameter of the front rotors, they will be either 12" or 13". The rear brakes are the same regardless of the suspension or the diameter of the front rotors.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:18 AM
gtj
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the quick reply. The sticker you mentioned is under the center console, I'll check when I get home from work later. I went to the Chevy dealer where this car was bought and asked if they could produce the build sheet, but Chevy has no records for cars older than 1996.
I'll probably go with drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads - just a cruiser so I don't need anything exotic.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:39 AM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Easy enough to measure the diameter of the front rotors, they will be either 12" or 13". The rear brakes are the same regardless of the suspension or the diameter of the front rotors.

Also drilled and slotted rotors are a waste of money on a street car, unless you're doing it for the looks.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:51 AM
kangi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gtj
Thanks for the quick reply. The sticker you mentioned is under the center console, I'll check when I get home from work later. I went to the Chevy dealer where this car was bought and asked if they could produce the build sheet, but Chevy has no records for cars older than 1996.
I'll probably go with drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads - just a cruiser so I don't need anything exotic.
You can order a build sheet for you car at the NCM's website:

https://store.corvettemuseum.com/ser...buildsheet.asp

otherwise just measure the rotors

Get notified of new replies

To Brake & Rotor Help Needed

Quick Reply: Brake & Rotor Help Needed