C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Broken Power Antenna Ribbon Tip

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 PM
tneutron
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Power Antenna Ribbon Tip

I had a broken Harada style power antenna that would no longer go up or down, but I could hear the antenna motor working. I assumed it was a broken antenna ribbon internal to the mast. I purchased the 41423 antenna replacement kit from Ecklers
http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-powe...1988-1992.html

When I removed the original antenna, the ribbon was broken and a piece of it was still in the mast about 8 inches down. My son had the idea of taking a wire sprinkler flag (like you get at HD or Lowes) flattening the end of it and making a 90 degree bend in the flattened end. Make sure the bend is small (1/4") or so. You can now fish the wire into the mast and catch the geared nubs of the broken ribbon and pull it out. This saves you from having to remove the wheel and fender well, and antenna motor. Took only about 5 minutes to fish it out once we had the wire fashioned. Saved me a bunch of work and lots of time. The kit from Ecklers looks and works like the original. Hope this helps someone, since the only posts I saw for a broken antenna ribbon involved removing the motor!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:31 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Good tip
Old 06-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

That IS a good tip. Nice one!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:20 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Well Done
Old 06-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Arkybill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen all these posts about how easy it is to change the antenna ribbon. well, the car I have (94 LT1) there ain't no way in hell to get the antenna and ribbon OUT of the tube. Yeah, I've got the replacement kit, and have read the directions from Numerous sources, the bottom line is "how do you break the lining-the one with the lip on the bottom of the fitting inside the housing"?

bill

Get notified of new replies

To Broken Power Antenna Ribbon Tip

Quick Reply: Broken Power Antenna Ribbon Tip