C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:16 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Default Headlights

Hi Guys,
I've been running Hella Euro spec H4 headlamps with 80/100 xenon bulbs in my MR2 and want to switch them over to my "new" Corvette - when I finally find a nice C4. Pics of the beam pattern are here: http://www.marcmedina.com/MR2lighting.html

I'm wondering if anyone is running high-power bulbs like that without using a relay - or will I have to use a relay.

Thanks!
Marc
Old 06-22-2010, 12:00 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

When I had my '92 vert, I installed a set of the Hella Euro lamp housings (great pieces and the beam pattern is much better than any stock lamp!). CIBIE also makes a good replacement lamp housing for the 6056-type lamps.

Even though the Hella lamps were glass and slightly heavier than the stock plastic lamps, they never caused me any problems with the stock motors and gears. But it's important that the motors and the gears in the motors are in good condition and preferably the metal gears instead of the plastic ones found in the earlier C4's.

I had also installed some APC Xenon H4 bulbs with the same wattage you have and I never had a problem with the stock wiring. But I wouldn't go much higher in wattage without some sort of relay to provide more current with larger wires.

If you do have concerns, then consider something like the Sylvania SilverStar Ultras. The APC bulbs I used had a bluish-white tint to the light beam but not quite like a HID beam.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:00 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
When I had my '92 vert, I installed a set of the Hella Euro lamp housings (great pieces and the beam pattern is much better than any stock lamp!). CIBIE also makes a good replacement lamp housing for the 6056-type lamps.

Even though the Hella lamps were glass and slightly heavier than the stock plastic lamps, they never caused me any problems with the stock motors and gears. But it's important that the motors and the gears in the motors are in good condition and preferably the metal gears instead of the plastic ones found in the earlier C4's.

I had also installed some APC Xenon H4 bulbs with the same wattage you have and I never had a problem with the stock wiring. But I wouldn't go much higher in wattage without some sort of relay to provide more current with larger wires.

If you do have concerns, then consider something like the Sylvania SilverStar Ultras. The APC bulbs I used had a bluish-white tint to the light beam but not quite like a HID beam.
Great, thanks for the info! The Hella Xenon bulbs are VERY white as you can see by the pics on my page.

If I have problems with the lights, I'll make sure to replace the gears with the later metal ones.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:25 PM
jsinga
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a relay kit ciebe lamps with 100/130w Narva bulbs I got from http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
I mounted the relays on the left inner fender and wired the headlights with 12ga wire. That's about as big a wire as I could get through the pivot holes.
It's been 4 or 5 years since I did the upgrade. I think the lights equal HID and they are white not blue.
Cost less than $200 when I did it.

JS
Old 06-23-2010, 03:22 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I put Hella E specs and 100/80 bulbs in my 86. I have had them a few years and I used all the stock wiring and added no extra parts.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:00 PM
vette079
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
I put Hella E specs and 100/80 bulbs in my 86. I have had them a few years and I used all the stock wiring and added no extra parts.
I´m in Europe, and here we are not allowed to have higher than 60/55 (E-spec) watts.

After a year or two I found out that my H4´s in my 91 C4 were in fact 100/55 (because of a wire sitting loose so my high´s? on the left side didn´t work anymore).

As far as I know it´s the stock wiring, and still looks good (quite a bit of night driving with the high´s on).

My 2 C for the wiring

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights

Quick Reply: Headlights