C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rocker arm came off valve - damaged

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mcox8051
Ok, lying in bed I realized how my test doesn't prove anything. If the valve were bent it would still pull up to the same point. What about pushing it down? It is hitting the piston as it sits. Since the piston is not parallel to the valve face it would work, but there are indentations in the piston, I assume for clearance of the valves. And I wonder if those indentations are parallel to the valve face? It is the exhaust valve that the problem happened on. Can't you see the valve through the exhaust port if the headers were off? And possible check for runout? Geez, I hate to pull that head!
You can ponder it for hours, and not be able to determine if the valve is bent.
Choice is pretty simple really. Relace the busted stuff, file the valve tip smooth and take a chance or, pull the head off, inspect everything, re-install and likely have zero issues.
Your call for sure, but there is no way I would not pull that head if it were my ride.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Borescope. You will be able to get a much better idea of damage.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:30 AM
mcox8051
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichS
I would make sure all the parts are the proper ones. Original type 10 mm studs, locks and rockers. Just to make sure someone didn't force 3/8 ploylocks on. I think going with the aftermarket springs are overkill for the Hotcam. Gm sells the proper LT4 springs for like $40. You can also buy new keepers and caps fairly cheap.

Since the rocker chewed up the tip of the valve I would pull the head and have the valve replaced. The new rocker roller tip may get chewed up on the rough tip. This way since it will be apart you can check the lifter, and cam lobe to be sure they were not the problem.

If it were mine I would also replace the non-adjustable rockers with adjustable ones. I never liked the fact of swapping in a cam and not being able to set preload. And as stated you can not use guidplates with self-aligning rockers.
Good advice. The cheapest I have found for the stock springs is $137 plus shipping from GM Parts Direct.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:36 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mcox8051
Good advice. The cheapest I have found for the stock springs is $137 plus shipping from GM Parts Direct.
That's about 3X more than you can find them elsewhere. Gene Culley (Forum Supporting Vendor) has them for ~$40.

Last edited by STL94LT1; 06-23-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Rocker arm came off valve - damaged