C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My opnion about k&n filter. No trust of it

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 07:54 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Default My opnion about k&n filter. No trust of it

After 20000 mph with k&n filter in my other car dodge nitro 2.8 turbodiesel, one time cleaned and re oiled drop in k&n filter, i've decided to come back to the paper filter both dodge nitro and corvette.

Not just for the waste of time to clean it, but honestly i don't have a full trust of it.

Well yesterday I've picked up it from nitro and seen it against the light
There were holes, points of lights 1mm or less not by oil covered,

thought dust ( and aggressive dust Is off road ) is passing throught these holes.

To me oil on cotton gauze can stop dust is a ********, there's no oil where holes,
Other parts maybe, where all don't think in fact many test on web says that k&n filter had a poor filtration

I like to be quiet
Old 02-16-2015, 10:51 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Most dusting problems are for turbo charged vehicles.

The real danger is the oil getting on the maf sensor and messing it up.

That said on a stock vette I doubt you will gain anything with a k&n so not worth the risk. On my 86 coupe when I supercharged it the k&n really out performed the stock filter. But before the charger I couldn't tell the difference between the paper filter and the k&n to be honest.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:02 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Christi@n
After 20000 mph with k&n filter in my other car dodge nitro 2.8 turbodiesel, one time cleaned and re oiled drop in k&n filter, i've decided to come back to the paper filter both dodge nitro and corvette.

Not just for the waste of time to clean it, but honestly i don't have a full trust of it.

Well yesterday I've picked up it from nitro and seen it against the light
There were holes, points of lights 1mm or less not by oil covered,

thought dust ( and aggressive dust Is off road ) is passing throught these holes.

To me oil on cotton gauze can stop dust is a ********, there's no oil where holes,
Other parts maybe, where all don't think in fact many test on web says that k&n filter had a poor filtration

I like to be quiet
The reason you have holes is because the filters aren't made to run 20,000 mph.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:09 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Correct, I believe if you slowed to around 10,000 mph the holes would disappear.........WW
Old 02-16-2015, 11:33 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Correct, I believe if you slowed to around 10,000 mph the holes would disappear.........WW
Now that is a REALLY FAST C4!!
Old 02-17-2015, 02:04 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I can only do about 1,000 mph in mine! Let's see: The earth is about 25,000 miles in circumference, and it takes 24 hours to make one revolution. 25,000 miles divided by 24 hours is about 1,000 mi/hr!! Guess my '84 is just a slow poke!!

Old 02-17-2015, 05:39 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Mine worked ok when I drove across the pacific ocean last summer.
Christin, I agree with you, stock works for me.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:26 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by 383vett
I what sense?before to clean an re oil it? If yes I've just cleaned and re oiled it and then I've found holes. Or did you mean to use it less and thrown away?
Old 02-17-2015, 06:34 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by crowz
Most dusting problems are for turbo charged vehicles.

The real danger is the oil getting on the maf sensor and messing it up.

That said on a stock vette I doubt you will gain anything with a k&n so not worth the risk. On my 86 coupe when I supercharged it the k&n really out performed the stock filter. But before the charger I couldn't tell the difference between the paper filter and the k&n to be honest.
Crowz

Yes I've recently got a drop in for my 1995 C4 and in all honesty the only difference is the aspiration sound...

For nitro any difference neither in aspiration sound, in fact yesterday I've replaced k&n with a Wix paper filter and seems to run the same as k&n

Last edited by Christi@n; 02-17-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:29 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I use the cheapest paper air filter I can find for my '87. When it gets dirty, I toss it away and install a new one. Did the same when I had my '92.

The biggest problem with an oil-type filter like the K&N is the amount of oil that is sprayed onto it after cleaning. As mentioned, too much oil and you risk damaging the MAF. Too little oil and the filter works just like a cheap paper filter.

I read in another thread on the CF That others have found K&N filters with small holes in them. One member said that K&N replaced his filter that had holes in it at no cost. That's fine given what these filters cost, but one would expect that you shouldn't have to find holes in a $70 filter.

Given your location, it would probably be just as cheap to buy 2-3 paper filters as the shipping charges would not be much more than getting just one filter. Stay away from the various Corvette accessory catalogs and use online sources like Summit Racing, Jeg's, or Rockauto.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:49 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Christi@n,
..I believe you made the right decision to go back to the standand air filter...I have a K&N filter sitting in my garage that I removed when I first bought my 89...There are those on this forum that like the K&N filters, but I found them more of a hassle to use then the standard paper filter... To each his own, but I find it better to just drop in a new paper filter each spring and be done with it... That way, I don't have to worry if I oiled the K&N enough, or if I oiled it to much and it's going to get on my MAF sensor... Plus, not knowing when to clean and oil the filter again .......WW

Last edited by WW7; 02-17-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:04 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

One thing I forgot to mention if you want a real oil type filter that actually works look for a s&b filter. That's whats on my superduty diesel. Those work. But Im not sure if they have one that will fit corvettes.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:49 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I use the cheapest paper air filter I can find for my '87. When it gets dirty, I toss it away and install a new one. Did the same when I had my '92.

The biggest problem with an oil-type filter like the K&N is the amount of oil that is sprayed onto it after cleaning. As mentioned, too much oil and you risk damaging the MAF. Too little oil and the filter works just like a cheap paper filter.

I read in another thread on the CF That others have found K&N filters with small holes in them. One member said that K&N replaced his filter that had holes in it at no cost. That's fine given what these filters cost, but one would expect that you shouldn't have to find holes in a $70 filter.

Given your location, it would probably be just as cheap to buy 2-3 paper filters as the shipping charges would not be much more than getting just one filter. Stay away from the various Corvette accessory catalogs and use online sources like Summit Racing, Jeg's, or Rockauto.

sure i use rock auto the best one, do you know where to get c4 corsa exhaust at good price? the cheapest that i ve found is from ecklers

Last edited by Christi@n; 02-17-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:02 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

One thing I forgot to mention if you want a real oil type filter that actually works look for a s&b filter. That's whats on my superduty diesel. Those work. But Im not sure if they have one that will fit corvettes.
take a look at s&b neither for corvette or nitro, thank you in anyway
Old 02-17-2015, 04:31 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

take a look at s&b neither for corvette or nitro, thank you in anyway
1987 corvette uses this one.

http://www.sbfilters.com/index.php/y....html?cat=5669

What year do you need?
Old 02-17-2015, 06:17 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I got a kool blue filter for mine and it looks ok to me. About the same price as a throw away one on ebay. I think its made by accel.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:46 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

After using them on may cars, I am not a fan of KN either, for street use, which is my style.

do you know where to get c4 corsa exhaust at good price?
One of the local 'BlockHeads' has a CAT-back system he wants to sell. Not positive it was Corsa.

These guys spend some time on the So. California regional threads. Maybe post a WTB (want to buy) there and in the C4 For Sale section.

Get notified of new replies

To My opnion about k&n filter. No trust of it

Old 02-18-2015, 02:00 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

1987 corvette uses this one.

http://www.sbfilters.com/index.php/y....html?cat=5669

what year do you need?
Old 02-19-2015, 12:11 AM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts

K&N Air Filters are the biggest HOAX ever perpetrated on the backyard mechanic!

Not only are they expensive and messy (as mentioned above) but... if you read their literature you will find that the purpose of the oil is to catch dust and dirt. The once-caught dust and dirt is then used to filter you incoming air! Take a moment to digest that and then decide if you want to spend your money with those folks!

And those "holes" you're seeing? That's where the dust and dirt were. Where do you suppose that dust and dirt is now?

Last edited by DrDyno; 02-19-2015 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:29 PM
85orangecrusher
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are going to argue with a company the size of K&N? I run K&N in all my cars and trucks. It is a superior product and is run in all forms of racing around the world. I like the product and think it works great. That filter is K&N's bread and butter, opinions are like bumholes everybody has got on and some are clean and working properly and some are just plain stinky.

Quick Reply: My opnion about k&n filter. No trust of it