C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help with INFL REST - Code 35

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Default Help with INFL REST - Code 35

Folks,

Need a bit of help here on my 90 vert. Took the steering column apart to make a repair so I had to remove the air bag. Wanted to test the turn signal so I reconnected the battery without the air bag on to make sure the turn signals worked before I put it back together. That set a code 35 - Open INF REST circuit.

Got it all put together but I am having a problem getting rid of the code. The FSM says to:

1. Turn ign off
2. Ground K lead of ALDL
3. Turn on ignition
4. wait for code to start flashing
5. unground K lead for 3 secs
6. Ground K lead for 3 secs
7. Unground and wait 10 seconds and code should disappear

Problem is this does not ever seem to get rid of the stored codes. I tried various permutations of the above, like waiting before the codes flash.

No problems with the INF REST before I stated. Please don't tell me I have to take apart the steering column again!!! What a royal PITA!

Any advise?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Ok folks. Here is the trick. DO NOT GROUND K. Instead, connect K to A and follow the procedure. It worked the very first time when you use the above procedure to lead K connected to A instead of seat or any other ground.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:40 PM
RonRock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this true with a 95 also?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:46 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RonRock
Is this true with a 95 also?
92 FSM says codes can only be deleted w/ Tech I (or, TechII, presumably). But they might be holding out on us.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:59 PM
RonRock
Instructor

Yeah I thought I had read that in the FSM. I talked to the stealer and of course he says bring it in we'll get it in. I hate to have anyone else work on my car. And really hate to pay their rates to do it.

I would much rather do it myself if it can be done. But like others have said. I'm kinda nervous about messing with air bag systems. They have a potentially expensive consequence from a mistake.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:03 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RonRock
Yeah I thought I had read that in the FSM. I talked to the stealer and of course he says bring it in we'll get it in. I hate to have anyone else work on my car. And really hate to pay their rates to do it.

I would much rather do it myself if it can be done. But like others have said. I'm kinda nervous about messing with air bag systems. They have a potentially expensive consequence from a mistake.
Dealers are not the only ones who have Tech I or II scan tools. A friend of mine who has an independent repair shop has one (I've used it) and there are generic diagnostic units out there, too pricey for the home mechanic, but maybe you could ask around your area and find a shop like that. The dealer is the last place I would take any car. They make 50% of their profit from service and do not necessarily have the best techs. For example, a few years ago I bought a Blazer off-lease from a GM dealer. The turn signals didn't work, and I suggested a new flasher. After two hours, they came out to tell me that they tore apart the steering column and replaced the turn signal mechanism, and the problem was "half fixed". Then they changed the flasher and it was "all fixed". To add insult to injury, they apparently pinched the ground wire to the cruise control in the column, and now the c/c cuts out randomly when using the right lane change signal. Gonna fix that some day.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:07 AM
RonRock
Instructor

Thanks, I can look around. I figured the Tech I or II was a GM Scanner that only they would have. Worth a look if I have to have someone else do it.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with INFL REST - Code 35

Quick Reply: Help with INFL REST - Code 35