C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1995 Antenna Fix w/ Pics (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:03 AM
ScottSpo
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1995 Antenna Fix w/ Pics (lots of pics)

Ok, I told you that I’d make this post a long time ago, but I got sidetracked with an optispark and water pump install… I have pics of that too but that is later.
Anyway
Here is my ’95 and my antenna mast ribbon has exploded and needs to be replaced. Hope this will help anyone needing to know how to mess with their antenna.
NOTE: If you follow the Haynes manual… you will spend a lot more time saying WTF than you would if you follow my weird instructions. Everything I’ve done to my car so far is different than what I read in the book.

You’ll need simple tools like a set of torx (star) wrenches, screwdriver, and sockets with an extension.

First, lift the left rear up and put up a jack stand so you can work with the wheel off.

Take a quick look under the bumper where your antenna is. It is a somewhat tight fit if you aren’t used to working on cars. A good set of socket wrench extensions will make the job easier.

Take the wheel off. Should be a 19mm socket for the lugs.

Take off the wheel shroud with torx wrenches.

With the rear glass up, take off the rear plastic piece.

Take off all the screws and… what the heck… there is a lever for the t-top!

No problem! It just pops off. Pull on it.

Now you can take off the cover and see the pretty foam stuff.

Pull back the foam on the driver’s side and you’ll see 2 connectors, one for the antenna line itself and a harness to control the unit. I have disconnected them.

Right, so now that it is disconnected, let’s start unbolting stuff.
2 bolts on the bottom of the unit, and one screw and one bolt on the top of the unit. Please take note of the grounds and electrical connections sandwiched between the bolts and the unit.

Ok, here is what separates the men from the... other men. Look here, this grommet requires you to get a little angry. Follow the line from the antenna to find the grommet at nearly arms length up in the body making it only harder to pop off.

What I did is pull the foam way back on the top, spray it with some wd-40, go back under the car and pull on the edges with pliers. Brute force followed by a flat-head screwdriver here and there for the win.
If anyone knows a special tool for this monster, please chime in. This cost me the bulk of my time.

It is free now.
Free at last.
I actually did this 3 times because I changed my mind about if I wanted to fix it or just drive without it being motorized.
And the Mopar museum in Michigan is wonderful. Small but good.

Coming up next, Water pump and optispark install and also look for my removal and install of dash components.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:41 AM
Mikes1991
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow very nice Job and nice pics to boot. We have the same color cars and my antenna is shot. That job looks like a pain in the *** lol but isnt everything on our cars? Thanks Ill refer tothis when I do my antenna
Old 06-05-2010, 04:45 AM
UNCLEBILL
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-06-2010, 02:38 AM
ScottSpo
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok... so about 3 hours after I posted this and I am sleeping, someone tried to break in to my car. Thank goodness for my crazy loud alarms. All that I found was a few scratches by my door. I don't keep anything valuable inside my vette, and if someone tries to steal the entire car then they wouldn't get very far if anywhere at all. I am in the process of doing some fuel system work.
It is just a scary fact of life that some people will take and destroy all that you've worked so hard on.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:40 AM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Nice job on the antenna fix pix! Thanks, someday, I'll get around to mine...

I'm glad you didn't lose your car/belongings/have to fix what some a-hole broke...

Old 06-07-2010, 01:03 PM
MyFirst90coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been putting this job off.

Sucks that some A-hole tried to break into your car!
Old 11-29-2020, 08:02 PM
RedVette7259
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can I buy a antenna for my C4? I need to change it out also.

Thank you
Old 11-29-2020, 08:09 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Pretty sure when I did my 95 years ago I just went in through the tail light. I never took wheels off. It wasn't bad. I had to remove and open the motor to get a piece of the broken ribbon out before feeding in a new antenna.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 11-29-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:25 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 568 Posts

Guys, This post is 10 years old. Dan
Old 11-29-2020, 09:01 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Damn - lol

Get notified of new replies

To 1995 Antenna Fix w/ Pics (lots of pics)

Quick Reply: 1995 Antenna Fix w/ Pics (lots of pics)