C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Are there any fuel injector cleaners that work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:32 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Yeah...at least for 1989+ models you want to think twice about using fuel injector cleaner. I had saved the following long ago, but don't recall where I saw it.

"In 1989 GM switched to the Multec injector partly because they were a ball design instead of the pintle like the Bosch-style injector. This means that the ball constantly rotates, which helps eliminate buildup and gives the injector a different seating surface each time, reducing wear on the seats. Also, the Multec injector is higher in the intake, which prevents fouling the tip of the injector. The Multec injector is designed to allow the fuel to flow over the coils of the injector, which helps cool the coils. This can pose a problem if chemicals are used to clean the injectors. Since the fuel flows over the injector coil, so does the injector cleaner. Harsh chemicals in the injector cleaner can deteriorate the protective coating on the coils of the injectors and destroy the injector."
Old 06-01-2010, 10:08 AM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a set of injectors from Jon at FIC for my '94 Jeep Cherokee with 140,000 on the original injectors. They were a great purchase and my Cherokke runs like new again! Thanks Jon!
Bernie
Old 06-01-2010, 11:35 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FICINJECTORS
Its just that I like to give factual info. Unlike a lot of keyboard mechanics. This is what I do for a living, if you have better facts that will help the Corvette Forum please share it, otherwise stop with the bad information and sarcastic remarks. I did not make up the bulletin from AC Delco. Did you even read it? Maybe a "thank you" for posting it might be in order as it might save someone some money and time. Who writes your material anyway?
I gave no bad info CAN YOU NOT READ!!!

I will continue to pass on info I know is true and could care less what a used fuel injector salesman thinks.

I've read it, it applies to a few years. What I'm telling YOU is cleaning injectors on the rails is a very common practice and works. I realize if someone cleans their own injectors might cost you a sale. I understand your motives. I for one will not be buying used, ugly yellow injectors, that don't fit my fuel rail properly.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,245 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
What I'm telling YOU is cleaning injectors on the rails is a very common practice and works. I realize if someone cleans their own injectors might cost you a sale. I understand your motives. I for one will not be buying used, ugly yellow injectors, that don't fit my fuel rail properly.
Just because it is common practice doesn't mean it does anything besides separating a rube from his money. You don't know how clean you have gotten it and you can't tell whether the injectors are balanced or not. Sure, it costs a little more but so what? You know the job is done right as opposed to sweeping a room in the dark. You never know what you have missed. Have any of the snake oils that supposedly get good results been tested before and after so we can see how much is needed and how effective it really is?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:07 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I know GM dealers don't know anything and you know everything.....yada, yada, yada.
My Goodness!! More fiber in the diet.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

some things are just wrong, some people are just bitter , maybe at life , maybe at their own failures and some things are good and succesful and not because one person or a friend or a relative says so, its because most of the members here agree that JON@FICINJECTORS is a real good add to the boards, he never steers you wrong, and its always there to help and make your car run like new.
If i was boonie, i would buy a set of excellent Bosch IIIs from FICINJECTORS and call it a day !!! Been there done there , i have seen Hundreds of posts here grateful at Jon and his injectors,all negative and sarcastic comments should be ignored, that does not contribute to this community AT ALL. There is always someone bitter that ruins the party,that's called Jealousy and envy,what else can i say ...if i can give you advice...is Just listen what FICINJECTORS has to say, if you dont believe me do a search and watch for yourself all of the positive posts at him.
Period.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:32 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Some people are just preachy and dopey. Some people are so thin skinned they can't take it when someone states an opposing view. Some people simply don't read a thread or stick with the OP's question. Some people have to attack others and pile on in groups (no guts). Some people have to call out or attack those who take a different point of view. Instead of condemning me personally why don't you answer the OP's question with best intentions and complete honesty.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

No one is condemning you
Some are right, some are wrong , you are attacking !
please read your posts !!!
That's what it is , its not groups, its that everybody here its grateful at somebody with great service and real knowledge and that's FIC.
Isn't simple enough for you to understand ?
Have a good day !
Old 06-01-2010, 05:43 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

GM (and others) makes a fuel rail type cleaning kit.
My first post to OP's question.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:45 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

That's not entirely true, GM dealerships do injector cleaning on Corvettes all the time. Not with gas additives however.
My second to an erroneous post.

Then Jon quoted me on this statement (which is true), and completely changed to entire context of the thread.

I will state again "GM does fuel injection cleaning on Corvettes at it's dealerships all the time". Not with gas additives however.

Last edited by BADDUCK; 06-01-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:55 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Strick
Just a small hi jack here, but can we replace our 92-94 OEM injectors with ones that can be cleaned with fuel additives? Is it necessary or wise?
Not a good idea. This is according to GM.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:55 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FICINJECTORS
Its just that I like to give factual info. Unlike a lot of keyboard mechanics. This is what I do for a living, if you have better facts that will help the Corvette Forum please share it, otherwise stop with the bad information and sarcastic remarks. I did not make up the bulletin from AC Delco. Did you even read it? Maybe a "thank you" for posting it might be in order as it might save someone some money and time. Who writes your material anyway?
I say THANK YOU, Jon for all the straight talk and help you give us here !
Old 06-01-2010, 06:02 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Calderone
No one is condemning you
Some are right, some are wrong , you are attacking !
please read your posts !!!
That's what it is , its not groups, its that everybody here its grateful at somebody with great service and real knowledge and that's FIC.
Isn't simple enough for you to understand ?
Have a good day !
If you are not going to address the question in the thread why do you post? Why do you attack me by calling me "bitter" and a "failure" just because I defend myself and my opinion? You added NOTHING to this post but how you feel. Who cares!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Road Agent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I know GM dealers don't know anything and you know everything.....yada, yada, yada.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Road Agent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will continue to pass on info I know is true and could care less what a used fuel injector salesman thinks.

I've read it, it applies to a few years. What I'm telling YOU is cleaning injectors on the rails is a very common practice and works. I realize if someone cleans their own injectors might cost you a sale. I understand your motives. I for one will not be buying used, ugly yellow injectors, that don't fit my fuel rail properly.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:38 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Rationalize it however you want--your response was not justified. Sounds like something a 5 YO would say.

Eddie
Old 06-01-2010, 06:57 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MK 82
Rationalize it however you want--your response was not justified. Sounds like something a 5 YO would say.

Eddie
I thought it sounded more like what George Kastanza (sic) would say but whatever.

Get notified of new replies

To Are there any fuel injector cleaners that work?

Old 06-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Mikes1991
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Umm

Um seriously dude does the yellow bother you that much, If so, you can simply hit em with a bit of whatever color you like if thats an issue and the fitment problem whatever it was has been resolved. They fit my car wonderfully well and made the car run like a sewing machine. Read up on my post about my idle issues and miss. My mirrors where shaking it was so bad. Not any longer. They dont move a drop and the car runs like a freak. I paid a lousy 150 bucks for injectors that would have cost me at gm at least a 1000 installed. A lousy 150 bucks and my car feels like new and runs like new. What a difference is all I can say and ugly yellow injectors is that the reasoning behind not getting them. Id rather an excellent running vehicle with lovely yellow injectors as opposed a ****box with injectors that looked good but did not work effectively

This kind of thinking reminds me of players back in the day who came into the locker room with the nicest newest hockey equipment ( I hope your not one of them ) while I sat there taping the blade of my skate onto the boot because I did not want to let go of those well broken in tacks that I loved so much. Looking at me youd think I got my equipment from the salvation army but Lordy Lordy man. If you thought that having the nicest looking equipment was going to help you, it was obvious they where sorely mistaken by games end

I say be practicle. If you have to old multecs and they dont check out with the ohm tests get new ones, You wont regret it
Old 06-01-2010, 08:14 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

I like keeping my car as original in appearance and operation as possible. But really I just like to see how little it takes to get all the FIC leg humpers little panties in a wad! I have a set of brand new SMP FJ47's I gave $160 for in the shop that are ready to go in as soon as these crappy Multecs soil their laundry (if ever).

Last edited by BADDUCK; 06-01-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

I like keeping my car as original in appearance and operation as possible. But really I just like to see how little it takes to get all the FIC leg humpers little panties in a wad!
You see, that's the attitude i don't like
We are not FIC Leg humpers,we are grateful of a good product and service , that's all !!! plus,we want to share the good experience for others to live it !
is that a problem ???

Quick Reply: Are there any fuel injector cleaners that work?