C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Grand sport brake upgrade on 94?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:42 AM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Grand sport brake upgrade on 94?

What is needed to install the 13" (heavy duty) front brakes from a grand sport on to a factory 94?

And are all grand sport calipers powder coated black with the word corvette on them like in this
Old 05-20-2010, 01:24 PM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC the GS brakes are essentially the same as the J55 heavy duty option for later C4s. If that's not right I apologize.

In that case you'd need the 13" rotors (RH & LH), new (wider) calipers and new caliper brackets. The J55s used the same pads as the JL9s so you should be able to use the same pads.

A new brake bias spring would be a good addition at that time too. I upgraded the 12" brakes on the front of my 93 to the 13" and changed to the DRM bias spring and have been quite happy with the upgrade since. I was autocrossing and tracking the car at the time and found that a little more bias to the rear brakes worked very nicly in keeping the car balanced under hard braking.

You may also want to consider the DRM SST caliper pistons if you plan on any harsh duty. They will transfer less heat to the fluid in the caliper and help reduce fade. I've done that mod as well.

Right now the car is dedicated to the track and Time Trials and I'm still running this brake setup without issue.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:10 PM
BobRR3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only difference is the Caliper. You already have the 13"rotors and the mounting brackets are the same. You won't get any better braking though. It' basically the same caliper as the J55 ezcept for the Corvette logo on the caliper.

It does look nicer than the J55 though....
Old 09-23-2010, 12:02 AM
aceesquire
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do i need to make these fit on an 86?

Get notified of new replies

To Grand sport brake upgrade on 94?

Quick Reply: Grand sport brake upgrade on 94?