C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Engine has been sitting 14 months. Has not turned over... Pre-Oil Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:52 AM
The Green Rocket
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

14 months is just a blink, no worries at all. Properly stored, 5-6 years is possible. I believe that GM Parts has a 7 year shelf life on engine assemblies.

It is super easy to make an pre-oiler pressurizer for some extra peace of mind: from your hardware store get a one of those heavy duty hand pump pesticide sprayers - the type that have a floor cylinder with a hand pump and a hose. Change out the sprayer hose end for a pipe fitting to screw into the engine block where your oil pressure sender goes. Fill the cylinder with any light weight synthetic engine oil and pump it into the block. You should be good to go.

Thomas
Old 05-11-2010, 10:03 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Whoops!

Originally Posted by MK 82
It's an LT1 so your oiling method won't work...
Good catch! My error. I didn't realized he had a '94 until I checked his profile.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:08 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by The Green Rocket
...It is super easy to make an pre-oiler pressurizer for some extra peace of mind: from your hardware store get a one of those heavy duty hand pump pesticide sprayers - the type that have a floor cylinder with a hand pump and a hose. Change out the sprayer hose end for a pipe fitting to screw into the engine block where your oil pressure sender goes. Fill the cylinder with any light weight synthetic engine oil and pump it into the block. You should be good to go.
In theory this should work. We used the same approach in the shop except we had a sump tank filled with two quarts of oil that we pressurized to 50 PSI and then connected it to the block to pre-lube a new engine. Not sure how much pressure those sprayers generate, but it's worth a try.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:08 PM
jakers
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Thanks!

Thanks Folks! I had a feeling that most would say "Fire it up..." I do over thinking things from time to time and this appears to be one of them. I did add stabilizer so I am thinking that I may be OK on that one. If not I will pump it our and refill. Now I just have to finish the project!
Old 05-11-2010, 02:49 PM
pappy.72
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Use a bunch of starter fluid...the oxygen sensors love it. Kidding. Just start it up and change the oil after the filter has had a few minutes to catch all the settled junk.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:22 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought a 1985 in '97 that had been sitting for 8 years. It was a basket case so the whole front end was off the car. I removed the heads to replace the head gaskets so I had a good look at the cylinders. I assumed the rings may have been seized to the cylinder walls from sitting so long. I poured marvels mystery oil in each cylinder and let it sit for a few days. Then I slowly cranked the engine over by hand. No issues whatsoever - cranked nice and easy. No discernible marks on the cylinder walls where the rings had been resting for years. Put the car back together and drove it for the summer with no issues at all.

Quick Reply: Engine has been sitting 14 months. Has not turned over... Pre-Oil Question?