C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Is my 1994 OBD1 or OBD2

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Rottweiler
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is my 1994 OBD1 or OBD2

I want to replace my O2 sensors with O2 simulators and I though my car was OBD2 but everything I read says OBD2 is 96 or newer. Can someone tell me what it is? Thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 08:18 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

For all practical purposes the 94 is a OBD 1 system. But it does use the OBD2 ALDL connector. A OBD2 code reader will not work if you hook it up.

Even though the system is an OBD1, it has some imbedded OBD2 codes but you need something like a tech1 to read them and then I don’t know how beneficial it would be any way.

I would just forget about the OBD2 for the 94 and make life simple. You will be very hard pressed to find a OBD1 code reader with the OBD2 connector, but they are around. But on the brighter side, the on board diagnosis to get the codes works very well and will give you more information than most ordinary code readers. Like the CCM codes and EBTCM (brake) codes. Learn how to use the on board well and you will be doing good.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Rottweiler
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 AM
bykerboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
For all practical purposes the 94 is a OBD 1 system. But it does use the OBD2 ALDL connector. A OBD2 code reader will not work if you hook it up.

Even though the system is an OBD1, it has some imbedded OBD2 codes but you need something like a tech1 to read them and then I don’t know how beneficial it would be any way.

I would just forget about the OBD2 for the 94 and make life simple. You will be very hard pressed to find a OBD1 code reader with the OBD2 connector, but they are around. But on the brighter side, the on board diagnosis to get the codes works very well and will give you more information than most ordinary code readers. Like the CCM codes and EBTCM (brake) codes. Learn how to use the on board well and you will be doing good.
The AutoXray 6000 has the right connector and will read your codes. However, they are not cheap.

Get notified of new replies

To Is my 1994 OBD1 or OBD2

Quick Reply: Is my 1994 OBD1 or OBD2