C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

No More Code 32

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 11:49 AM
86VetteBill
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No More Code 32

I've been trying to chase this code 32 thing for a couple weeks. I'd get it while cruising down the highway for after about 30 minutes of 65+ MPH.

I bought a Mighty Vac to see if the EGR would hold vacuum. It did. Glad I didn't take everything apart to replace it only to find out it's OK!!! :smash:

So, now I go to the next connection to see it vacuum will hold there. I follow the plastic tubing to the front of the engine, right behind the thermostat. The tube is connected to a rubber part that has another plastic tube going to the bottom of the throttle body.

As I pull the tube from the 'rubber part to the tb', it breaks at the rubber part. A-HA! This was probably cracked and causing a vacuum leak. :yesnod:

Fortunately, I get a screw and turn it clock-wise to 'grab' the tubing inside the rubber thingy, and it comes out. I trimmed the "C" shaped plastic tubing and put it all back together.

No code 32 today. And today was a banner ride up I-355. Topping out at about 90 mph in one stretch. Might be pre-mature to say this, but I think my 'instant mpg' is showing less? The Vette seems to ride smoother, too? :confused: I doubt it - We'll see.

Hope this helps some else out with their 32.

Bill :seeya
Old 03-15-2002, 11:57 AM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: No More Code 32 (86VetteBill)

You can trick the ECM to not check the EGR stuff if you drive erratically. Mine does the EXACT same thing you are saying and if I occasionally gun it and raise the RPM to 3k, the SES light will never come on and no code. If I cruise at 65-70 at 2k RPM, the SES light will come on about 30 minutes into the drive. Got pics of the rubber thing you were talking about?
Old 03-15-2002, 12:45 PM
86VetteBill
Racer

Default Re: No More Code 32 (VetteNoob)

Sorry, no pics - buying a diggie camera falls second behind buying the house, which we close on next month. The 3.1 M-Pixel prices are coming down! :crazy:

On an '86 L98, if you look right behind the thermostat housing from the driver's side, you'll see a 2 wire electrical connector. The rubber thingy is under that. This rubber thingy is so close to the t-housing, that the plastic tubing that goes to the bottom of the throttle body could actually touch it.

Bill
Old 03-15-2002, 12:51 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Yeah, speaking of that....which vac line goes to the TB and which goes to the EGR? When I stripped my t-housing stud, I had to have a shop get it out and they had to take all that stuff off. Im wondering if maybe they connected it all wrong and thats what causes my 32. Also, I had just gutted the MAF, hadnt driven the car (t-housing problem) too. Think the gutted MAF could be causing this?
Old 03-15-2002, 03:00 PM
Camvette
Instructor

There should be a vacuum diagram on the radiator shroud.It is placed there on all cars. :yesnod:
Old 03-15-2002, 03:12 PM
MDC9966
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: No More Code 32 (Camvette)

If your cruise control still works, the best way I found to check it out was to set the cruise on 70 and wait about 8 -10 miles. If it lasts you should be ok. On my 86, I just relocated the heat sensor from the tude over the valve cover to the exhaust just below the manifold. It gives the ECM the reading it's looking for.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:58 PM
86VetteBill
Racer

The rubber thingy has 2 holes in it, as seen from the driver's side of the engine. The 'left' port goes to the short plastic tubing to the TB and the other port goes to the longer plastic tubing to the EGR valve.

Hope that helps!

Bill
Old 03-15-2002, 04:28 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rebuilt my TB and got rid of 32 :cheers:
Old 03-15-2002, 05:48 PM
85 Dave
Le Mans Master

I had the same problem and found out it was the EGR temp sensor.
Old 03-15-2002, 10:10 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Default Re: No More Code 32 (ALL)

Looks like my radiator shroud was replaced. No decals. :( Cruise quit when I had a mechanic reseal my injectors. :mad Those vac hoses were backwards as per the mechanic who resealed the injectors. :rolleyes: Im thinking I need o completely redo my vac system, maybe my cruise will start working again....thanks for the info(s) tho.

Get notified of new replies

To No More Code 32

Quick Reply: No More Code 32