C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rebuilding a 4 + 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:20 AM
Lankhoss
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding a 4 + 3

Hello,

I just recently purchased a 1986 Corvette with the manual "4 + 3" transmission, and the overdrive does not work on it. It is looking like the internal seal between the two trannies was leaking, and leaked manual fluid into he automatic section, ruining it.

My friend that owns a shop is saying we should just put a 6 speed in the car. I was curious what the cost difference would be in going those two routes. I am thinking it will be much cheaper to just rebuild my stock tranny, but I am not sure.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:42 AM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can rebuild it, buy a rebuild or pick up a good used one way cheaper and easier than any conversion. I picked up a good used one on Ebay for 500 bucks. I see them sometimes in the "For Sale" section of this forum, though not for awhile. Last time I checked, a rebuilt one was about 1200 bucks. http://www.5speeds.com/nash.htm http://www.skspeed.com/Xmas2009web.pdf
Old 04-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Lankhoss
Racer

Originally Posted by powerpigz-51
You can rebuild it, buy a rebuild or pick up a good used one way cheaper and easier than any conversion. I picked up a good used one on Ebay for 500 bucks. I see them sometimes in the "For Sale" section of this forum, though not for awhile. Last time I checked, a rebuilt one was about 1200 bucks. http://www.5speeds.com/nash.htm http://www.skspeed.com/Xmas2009web.pdf
There is some great info on that site, thanks for the link!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Lankhoss
Racer

Took the car to my friend's shop today, by the way. He does not work on Corvettes, and is not familiar with this transmission, however he got under the car to discover there was hardly any fluid in the O/D unit. We put about 2 quarts in, and I took it for a drive. The fluid was POURING out of the car, so we jacked it back up to find that some clamp had rubbed a hole in the metal lines going to the cooler. We quickly threw some rubber hoses on there just so we could get fluid pumped back into the unit, but my friend had an emergency come up and had to leave very quickly.

What was happening the first time we filled it with fluid, was the car would go into O/D, but the SECOND I gave it any gas (regardless of speed or RPM), it would come out of O/D. After putting the hoses on and fixing the leak, on my way home the car just wouldn't even show the O/D light on the dash at all (and didn't go into overdrive).
Old 07-02-2010, 02:02 PM
tdr1919
Racer

what have you done? repaired/ replaced or converted to a non OD transmission?
Thanks,
Tom
Old 07-06-2010, 01:51 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

mine will be forsale in the future. it's an 88 model, and works mint! will be putting in a ZF for the added power of the 421 eventually....
Old 07-06-2010, 06:22 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lankhoss
What was happening the first time we filled it with fluid, was the car would go into O/D,.
If as you say the O/d worked 1st time ,that would be a reasonable indication that the O/d is good and that you have a problem ( very common with age ) in the control side of operation.
Bad relay / bad connection / wiring , etc
Need to check all connections

Old 07-06-2010, 07:51 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Once you get the fluid lines repaired and the unit filled with transmission fluid, the next thing to check it the OD button switch. This is a common failure over time and a cheap fix. Check this out before you charge off and spend money unnecessarily.

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding a 4 + 3

Quick Reply: Rebuilding a 4 + 3