C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any Detroit Locker Truetrac Diff 1/4 mile users yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:30 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Default Any Detroit Locker Truetrac Diff 1/4 mile users yet?

First time out with the new locker posi. Couldn't get any traction with it so far. All 7 passes it seemes to spin a little before it would hook and go. I went from 1.50-60's to 1.75s on average. Looking to see if anyone else has run them in the 1/4 yet.

Also when unloading the car I found I ripped my tailhousing off the tranny. Looks like it's in one peice but pulled the bolts all out. This may have had something to do with it too.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:33 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

No one?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Rich,
The tailhousing bolts may have been too short. The c-4 tailhousing needs bolts 1/4 inch longer than a typical 700R4. If your builder reused the stock bolts, it would explain why it happened. I have seen it before.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Yea they weren't in very far. I'm surprised they didn't pull out sooner. I tapped them to use inserts but ended up ordering bolts the same size as the insert tap. M12x1.50

Funny thing is I didn't know it untill I backed the car off the trailer and the car was jumping, then I saw the trail of blood from the trailer to the garage.

But I also now wonder if this came apart the first pass, then all the movement in the drivetrain was causing the traction issues. Guess I'll find out Sat.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:51 PM
The Green Rocket
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich, sorry to hear about the broken trans - hopefully it didn't happen because the trans builder put in the wrong length bolts.

Which Truetrac part number did you install? The next time I frag the factory style limited slip I would like to try something different.

Thomas
Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

The part# from Eaton is #913A614
Old 03-23-2010, 07:23 AM
c-4 lhozwalte
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we use those lockers in tons of jeeps,and they work great!they can be little noisey with street use but rarely a have i seen a failure.and the ones i have seen,were probally because of ring and pinion failures.they lock up super fast and i beleve youll find there is some other reason for your 60ft time loss.imo.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Red Rocket
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichS
First time out with the new locker posi. Couldn't get any traction with it so far. All 7 passes it seemes to spin a little before it would hook and go. I went from 1.50-60's to 1.75s on average. Looking to see if anyone else has run them in the 1/4 yet.

Also when unloading the car I found I ripped my tailhousing off the tranny. Looks like it's in one peice but pulled the bolts all out. This may have had something to do with it too.
Have looked into going down the same road with the automatic trans with the locker posi to follow. Only about five manual cars out of 200 on the Texas Muscle Car bracket racing series. Not sure if the auto would make that much difference for my set up though.

I'm dialing in at 11.5 and only need a mid 1.7 60'. No breakage in ten years of bracket racing.

Would you go down this road again if you had to do it over? Good luck with the tranny.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:18 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Old 03-23-2010, 06:52 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I will never again get a detroit for a manual shift vehicle. They are ok in automatic long wheelbase trucks where the steering angle comes on more gradually and the torque output is more constant riding the torque converter and all.

posi tractions can be had pretty tightly sprung and of course there is the spool if you just don't care about street usage. I'd take it out if it didn't improve things.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:12 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

I'll see this weekend once it's back together for Saturdays Challenge race.

I've never really regretted swapping in the auto for what I use the car for. It has been more consistent and better on parts breakage. The last breakage was a halfshaft that broke the welds. ( the more I looked at it the welds were not very good and didn't have good penetration) I just put the locker in to eliminate any more spider gear problems along with Denny's halfshafts. If the locker ends up not working for what I need, I think I will put in a spool.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:45 AM
thetoy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't had mine to the dragstrip yet but I have auto-crossed it three times so far and love it. I'm not sure if I'm having any more of a traction issue with the locker compared to the stock setup which I have broken 3 times now but it should be stronger.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:42 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Went today and ran much better.
1st run spun bad again but everyone did. 1.94/60'
2nd run left a little high on the converter, 1.59/60'
3rd run lowered rear shock 1 click, reset tire pressure to 16.5, 1.53/60'

Then I started to try and slow the car fom 11.teens to 11.50 and the 60's averaged 1.60 for the rest of the day. So now I think the problems may have been the falling off/loose tailshaft. The car should have run 10's today if I wasn't trying to slow it down for the index.

Then I blew a trailer tire on the way home (no spare forgot to get another) and had to drive the car home on the DRs and skinnys over 100 miles while the wife drove the truck with only 3 tires on the trailer.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:50 PM
c-4 lhozwalte
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so are you saying the detroit is to your liking?great numbers man!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 07:20 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by c-4 lhozwalte
so are you saying the detroit is to your liking?great numbers man!!!!!!!
The way it worked yesterday, Yes I'm happy with it so far. We'll see how it is next weekend.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:45 PM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by c-4 lhozwalte
we use those lockers in tons of jeeps,and they work great!they can be little noisey with street use but rarely a have i seen a failure.and the ones i have seen,were probally because of ring and pinion failures.they lock up super fast and i beleve youll find there is some other reason for your 60ft time loss.imo.
Originally Posted by mike100
I will never again get a detroit for a manual shift vehicle. They are ok in automatic long wheelbase trucks where the steering angle comes on more gradually and the torque output is more constant riding the torque converter and all.

posi tractions can be had pretty tightly sprung and of course there is the spool if you just don't care about street usage. I'd take it out if it didn't improve things.
I believe the OP is referring to the Detroit TruTrac torque biasing differential. NOT a detroit Locker (with it's hard/sudden/noisey engagement operation). The TruTrac is worm (helical) gear torque bias "limited slip", they do not utilize friction plates. I personally would be interested in it's tested performance on a slalom course.....

Last edited by DanZ51; 03-31-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:20 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DanZ51
I believe the OP is referring to the Detroit TruTrac torque biasing differential. NOT a detroit Locker (with it's hard/sudden engagement operation). The TruTrac is worm (helical) gear torque bias "limited slip", they do not utilize friction plates. I personally would be interested in it's tested performance on a slalom course.....

Yes it is all gears, and no clutches inside.

Get notified of new replies

To Any Detroit Locker Truetrac Diff 1/4 mile users yet?

Quick Reply: Any Detroit Locker Truetrac Diff 1/4 mile users yet?