C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:36 AM
bpdfs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headlight Question

I have read the Sticky thread about the headlight repair with Pic. My headlights are making a stange sound when they turn on and or off.. The motor keeps sounds for a few seconds after the lights come on or off.. It is because of the bushings im guessing? Is that correct???

Reason i ask is because I have noticed now with the Passenger side headlight when it flips up, it bounces a few times as the motor continue to spins.. Once its done, its not fully straight up like the driver side, just down a lil bit.. Is that also because of the worn out bushing in the motor gear?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2010, 02:01 AM
Arkybill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The headlight mechanism is kinda complex. But, it really ain't. It's got a motor, worm drive gear, a large driven gear and 3 little plugs in the corners of a triangle driven gear.

Do you have a shop manual? If not, do you have a picture of the headlight assembly? If not, you need 1 of the 2.

Most likely, the part that has failed is the 3 little plugs in the corners of the driven gear. I think that is the design idea. You can buy Corvette parts or you can go to O'Riley's or Auto Zone and look in the "help section" for FORD parts for electric windows. The 3 little plugs and the driven gear are the same (except for 92 Ford trucks windows).

I was given a quote of over $900 to fix each headlight problem at the dealer. I spent about $10 and a little over an hour to fix the problem.

I've found C4s are not hard to work on, and if you do it yourself, they are not expensive to maintain.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:54 AM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the bushings and do it yourself.99 percent chance its the bushings and nothing else.Your gears will be good like mine were.
Word of caution watch for the small ballbearing at the end of the wormgear and the support bolt.
The instructions I found did not mention it and it fell out ,then I figured out where it went.Just take it out at the begining and reinstall it with some grease on it to hold it in.
You will need a small punch to get the roll pin out,then zip tie everything together so you put it back together the right way.
It took me 3 hours to do the job,all works great now.
I did break a motor bolt off and had to drill it out,then broke the end of the casting off and had to JB weld it together.
I did mine 2 weeks ago
Old 03-21-2010, 11:22 AM
bpdfs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sticky guide on here, I can not see the pictures, they just had Red X's.. Can you guys see them.. I went to the other link on that thread that shows pics and directions, Is that a good enough link for it???? I have a 1993 40th
Old 03-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Camelotian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are strings here with step-by-step pictures. It's most likely bushings. Replacement cheap. Take your time and follow instruction steps.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Question

Quick Reply: Headlight Question