C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Common Rear Engine Oil Leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 03:43 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Thats the best kind of fix, fast and easy.. The metel washers with the rubber center are the best ones to use , there the only ones Ive found that don't leak but you have to change them everytime you change oil..Glad it worked out to be easy for you...WW
Old 04-03-2010, 03:51 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad to see you found the leak location, but now let's turn our attention to the FSM that was giving you the incorrect information.

Is it an ACTUAL GM Factory Service Manual? Are there two books, marked Book 1 and Book 2? What color are the cover(s)? Any identifing part number?

Something's definitely wrong since the information in the manual differs from the actual car. My thinking is it would be best to address this before you end up needing information again but won't be able to rely on the accuracy of the information in the manual.

Unfortunatelty, mine are for the 96, so we can't make an apples to apples comparison.

Jake
Old 04-03-2010, 07:54 PM
-=Tom=-
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAKE
Glad to see you found the leak location, but now let's turn our attention to the FSM that was giving you the incorrect information.

Is it an ACTUAL GM Factory Service Manual? Are there two books, marked Book 1 and Book 2? What color are the cover(s)? Any identifing part number?

Something's definitely wrong since the information in the manual differs from the actual car. My thinking is it would be best to address this before you end up needing information again but won't be able to rely on the accuracy of the information in the manual.

Unfortunatelty, mine are for the 96, so we can't make an apples to apples comparison.

Jake
They are indeed the red factory GM FSM books 1 and 2. It honestly doesn't surprise me that there are errors in the books as that's a lot of QA for people to do with the quantity of information in there. With that being said, they are worth their weight in gold as I've used them over and over and over and have saved a lot of money and aggravation because of them. Any Corvette owner that does their own wrenching can not be without these.

In this case I'm guessing that they may have intended for the oil pressure unit to be mounted to the oil filter housing as per the picture in the FSM but at some point they decided to go with what was already in the production line instead of changing its location.

Anyways if you really wanted I can go out and find the exact page. It doesn't concern me enough to follow up with it though unless you wanted me to.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:24 PM
Blue Cheese
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
Glad to see it was an easy fix, so easy none of even mentioned the oil drain plug.
Nope.... after all these years, I just fixed it. It was the oil filter flange gaskets that were shot. Picked them up for $8 at chevy dealer and done.

Took 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: Common Rear Engine Oil Leaks?