C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Auto to Manual Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:23 AM
84C44ME
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to Manual Swap

I am putting a '92 6-speed in my '84 Vette. I bought an '84 Vette flywheel, but do I use the pressure plate and clutch disc from the '92?
Also, the book shows that the '92 6-speed uses 5w30 lubricant. Is this just 5w30 motor oil in the transmission?
Old 02-26-2010, 11:22 AM
turbopezz
Instructor

http://members.cisdi.com/~anesthes/projects/stick-swap/

http://members.cisdi.com/~anesthes/zf6/

This is pretty much everything .
Old 02-26-2010, 12:18 PM
01spirit
Cruising

Default auto to manual conversion

I just did my 85 auto to 6 speed conversion last year.

I used the BMW synthetic oil that was recommended by the ZF doctor.

If you are using the ZF corvette transmission then you have to use a "dual mass" flywheel. The flywheel you purchased will not work.

There are some guys out there that converted from the dual mass to a standard flywheel, but I do not know what is involved.

I bought my 6speed conversion as a complete setup off of ebay.

Important: The thowout arm pivot ball has a tendancy to come loose. You need to check yours and use locktite on it. Mine has come loose and I have to remove the transmission to fix this.

There are numerous posts on this on the forum.

Also the 85 factory manual is important. I used the wiring diagrams to make sure I had the clutch safety interlock wired up correctly. This prevents the starter from engaging unless the clutch pedal is depressed. The wires are part of the connector for the shifter that was used for the auto transmission.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:35 PM
johnno!
Racer

How did you end up putting the dual mass flywheel on a 2 piece rear main engine? did you switch to a newer 1 piece?

Originally Posted by 01spirit
I just did my 85 auto to 6 speed conversion last year.

I used the BMW synthetic oil that was recommended by the ZF doctor.

If you are using the ZF corvette transmission then you have to use a "dual mass" flywheel. The flywheel you purchased will not work.

There are some guys out there that converted from the dual mass to a standard flywheel, but I do not know what is involved.

I bought my 6speed conversion as a complete setup off of ebay.

Important: The thowout arm pivot ball has a tendancy to come loose. You need to check yours and use locktite on it. Mine has come loose and I have to remove the transmission to fix this.

There are numerous posts on this on the forum.

Also the 85 factory manual is important. I used the wiring diagrams to make sure I had the clutch safety interlock wired up correctly. This prevents the starter from engaging unless the clutch pedal is depressed. The wires are part of the connector for the shifter that was used for the auto transmission.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:51 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Wrong.
Plenty are running a single mass flywheel behind ZF6

There are some guys out there that converted from the dual mass to a standard flywheel, but I do not know what is involved..
All info in the links above
Factory DM flywheel will not bolt to early 2 piece style crank so single mass is your only choice on those engines.

Last edited by rodj; 02-26-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:18 PM
01spirit
Cruising

Yes, I installed a new late model shortblock from GM with the one piece rear main seals. The roller cam setup was just a bonus.

Originally Posted by johnno!
How did you end up putting the dual mass flywheel on a 2 piece rear main engine? did you switch to a newer 1 piece?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:28 PM
01spirit
Cruising

Yeah you are correct, my memory is failing me. I now recall that the issue was that I couldn't install the dual mass flywheel on my 85 motor with its 2pc main seal. That is why I waited until I replaced motor.

Originally Posted by rodj
Wrong.
Plenty are running a single mass flywheel behind ZF6

All info in the links above
Factory DM flywheel will not bolt to early 2 piece style crank so single mass is your only choice on those engines.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto to Manual Swap

Quick Reply: Auto to Manual Swap