C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to remove paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 03:28 PM
devilfish
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to remove paint?

I have a spot ( rear left, just behind the wheel ), that the pre-owner has "fixed" a bad spot with spray-can black paint. How do I remove the spray paint but NOT remove the original paint underneath? Rubbing?

Regards
Old 03-07-2002, 03:42 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: How to remove paint? (devilfish)

Brake Fluid will remove paint ... i should know from experience :). But don't use that on your spot. I'd say just some rubbing. Chemicals will probably pull both layers off. I'm sure some paint guru might be able to tell you otherwise though.
Old 03-07-2002, 03:58 PM
RED92LT1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try using some ultra fine wet sandpaper (1200 to 1500 grit) first before using any chemicals or paint thinner.

What are you trying to accomplish ... may be easier to give you advice with a little more detail.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:16 PM
Rearview
Instructor

Default Re: How to remove paint? (Glock'94)

Brake Fluid will remove paint ... i should know from experience :)
Awwww, I wanted to make the brake fluid joke. :crazy: :smash: :D
Old 03-07-2002, 05:36 PM
devilfish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How to remove paint? (Rearview)

the pre-owner "fixed" a tiny crack in the fiberglass with ALOT of black spray can colour.. I think I can make a better jobb, just have to remove what he has painted..

Old 03-07-2002, 05:48 PM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the sandpaper bit. Then buff the dull finish you are left with with rubbing compound. I would not go with less than 1500 grit though to make sure you don't go through the original clear coat.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:07 PM
JonM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How to remove paint? (hz900)

1500 grit...end with 2000 grit...then buff with coumpound...
Old 03-07-2002, 11:02 PM
RED92LT1
Racer

[QUOTE] the pre-owner "fixed" a tiny crack in the fiberglass with ALOT of black spray can colour.. I think I can make a better jobb, just have to remove what he has painted..

I've been hobby painting since I was 15 ... so here's my advice. First, a crack is a crack is a crack ... the ONLY way to fix a crack long term, is to determine if it's the paint or into the gel coat, either way you have to remove enough material ... paint or gel coat to establish a solid base. Example, if it's the paint, sand until the crack is gone ... down to the base gel coat. If it's deeper than paint, meaning into the gel coat, then the gel coat has to be repaired, and if it's cracked fiberglass then new fiberglass has to be layered in.

With all of that being said ... you could probably remove enough of the bad paint you mentioned with 1200 - 1500 grit wet sandpaper, and then follow up with hand rubbing compound or even better a rotary buffer with a quality product like McGuire’s.

I would wet sand to remove the worst part of the paint ... either 1200 or 1500 is all that's necessary, the compound or medium cut cleaner / polish will do the rest. You may not be able to hide the entire crack ... but most likely will make it look a heck of a lot better. Next, use a medium cut cleaner to remove the sanding scratches and finish up with a final glaze compound and polish with your favorite wax. If nothing else ... it should be less noticeable.

The good news is ... black is the easiest color to fix.

Just as an example, I just finished touching up my white 90 Chevy pick-up by using
Dupont Chromabase and urethane clear coat. Using the procedures mentioned above the repair spots are perfect and free of scratches of any kind. Also, if available in your area ... an auto supplier may be able to put automotive finish in an aerosol can for you to do small touch-up areas with quality paint.

I'm in no way the ultimate authority on this subject ... but it's something I have always had an interest in, and have always found enjoyable ... and I would certainly like to hear other CF member’s opinions on your paint problem.

Brian

[Modified by RED92LT1, 10:32 AM 3/8/2002]
Old 03-08-2002, 06:37 AM
devilfish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How to remove paint? (RED92LT1)

Old 03-08-2002, 02:43 PM
hotwilzz
Racer

depending on how much paint there is to remove, you might try a clay detailing bar or wd40. i've had luck with both of these, and the wd40 will not harm your original finish
Old 03-08-2002, 02:47 PM
devilfish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How to remove paint? (hotwilzz)

rub wd-40 with a cloth?

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove paint?

Quick Reply: How to remove paint?