C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Visor Removal & Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:34 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default Visor Removal & Installation

One of the numerous C4 engineering failures, the sun visors' were made out of card board

New Visors from Ebay

Remove plastic lid (2-torx screws). Remove 8mm nut and discard.

Remove and save the spring.

Carefully pull the cable and disconnect. Remove old visor. You may need a small hammer to tap it out.

Old and New

To install, reverse the process.

Parts came with new fasteners

I applied red thread lock. Why? Because I can

Nice, the way it should have come from factory. No flexible corners.

I still have the old visors. The mirrors and light frame are in outstanding condition. PM if you need them.

Last edited by PLRX; 08-07-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:02 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good! Nice write up PLRX right up is dead on...I did this a few months back myself

Disappointed with the way my "fabric" ones wore over the years (high humidity & UV rays here in FL) I wanted to go with a more durable vinyl covering on mine. A few months back I purchased a set of "used" but super clean vinyl covered sunvisors (both with lighted vanity mirrors) out of a 1990 Chrysler Town & Country (Maserati edition) which required very little work to adapted to fit the C4. Pretty much only had to turn the C4's visor shaft's down to 8mm diameter, shorten the overall length about a 1/2". Anyway TC these might be an alternative for those that are interested...got a great deal on mine only cost $30.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by PLRX
One of the numerous C4 engineering failures, the sun visors' were made out of card board

New Visors from Ebay

Remove plastic lid (2-torx screws). Remove 8mm nut and discard.

Remove and save the spring.

Carefully pull the cable and disconnect. Remove old visor. You may need a small hammer to tap it out.

Old and New

To install, reverse the process.

Parts came with new fasteners

I applied red thread lock. Why? Because I can

Nice, the way it should have come from factory. No flexible corners.

I still have the old visors. The mirrors and light frame are in outstanding condition. PM if you need them.
Thanks...can you give me the fleabay link? or pm it to me
Old 08-27-2011, 05:59 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I did mine this summer too. The only problem I had was the star-shaped retainer holes were a hair bigger. Because of that, they wouldn't hold the spring pressurized for ease of installing the nut.

I was forced to press down and turn on the nut. Not a big deal unless/until you cross-thread the nut. If you're forced to press down and load that spring, the finesse necessary to "feel" if your nut is cross-threading is lost.

One side did start to cross-thread. After using a tap/die set to straighten it, the 2nd time was successful. Had it not, I would have been up chit-creek with a wasted pair of visors.

I bought mine from Willcox several years ago. I had them for years before installation. They were the less expensive option of the two options they carry (carried?).

I sent Willcox and FYI about this early this summer. I didn't get a reply, though I indicated it was an FYI. This may have been an isolated incident from years ago, or it may still exist with some aftermarket (non-OEM) replacements.

This post is intended (as the OPs) as purely informational. It's something to look out for -- and hopefully avoid -- if you run into the same issue.

If you're thinking why didn't I use the old spring retainers, I tried them too. It appeared the studs were also a hair smaller. So, the two didn't have same-size parts.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
I did mine this summer too. The only problem I had was the star-shaped retainer holes were a hair bigger. Because of that, they wouldn't hold the spring pressurized for ease of installing the nut.

I was forced to press down and turn on the nut. Not a big deal unless/until you cross-thread the nut. If you're forced to press down and load that spring, the finesse necessary to "feel" if your nut is cross-threading is lost.

One side did start to cross-thread. After using a tap/die set to straighten it, the 2nd time was successful. Had it not, I would have been up chit-creek with a wasted pair of visors.

I bought mine from Willcox several years ago. I had them for years before installation. They were the less expensive option of the two options they carry (carried?).

I sent Willcox and FYI about this early this summer. I didn't get a reply, though I indicated it was an FYI. This may have been an isolated incident from years ago, or it may still exist with some aftermarket (non-OEM) replacements.

This post is intended (as the OPs) as purely informational. It's something to look out for -- and hopefully avoid -- if you run into the same issue.

If you're thinking why didn't I use the old spring retainers, I tried them too. It appeared the studs were also a hair smaller. So, the two didn't have same-size parts.
Thank you for the additional info Gregg

Get notified of new replies

To Visor Removal & Installation

Quick Reply: Visor Removal & Installation