C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power seat issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:54 AM
'02magredZ51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power seat issues

Okay... so here's a good one. A couple years ago (I know... I know... I'm just getting around to it...) I pulled the sport seats in my wife's '96 to clean the carpets. Ever since then the seat control works perfectly with the driver's seat but when you move the switch on the console to the passenger seat the lumbar/bolster's react to switch inputs as they should (passenger side), but the driver's seat moves instead of the passenger's. Any thoughts... please...
Old 01-08-2010, 12:13 PM
BobRR3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple answer, there are two electrical connectors under the drivers seat. Swap them. I know this for a fact because i did the same thing myself.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:09 PM
'02magredZ51
Advanced

Default Solved

Wow. :o Do you have any idea how many times I unplugged those things and plugged them back in wrong (I didn't even consider trying to swap them... on purpose).

Thanks Bob.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:32 PM
91vettezr1
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Default seat problem

Originally Posted by BobRR3
Simple answer, there are two electrical connectors under the drivers seat. Swap them. I know this for a fact because i did the same thing myself.
hi
could you clarify this?? there are 2 plugs but they only go in one way.? i am having the same issue, when switched to passenger or driver ,only the driver seat moves not the passenger. lumbar stuff seems ok. i looked under there and the wires are color coded and correctly inserted. i can't swap wires since they wont plug into each other. any help would be aprreciated. i have a 94 zr1 with sport seats.
thanks
todd
Old 06-20-2010, 08:26 PM
IU-Z07
Intermediate

I did a seat swap on my 94 sport seats. The now passenger seat has one bolster that doesn't seem to work. Everything else is fine. What could be the cause?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:53 PM
IU-Z07
Intermediate

Any thoughts?
Old 01-17-2011, 05:44 PM
MissileDoc
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 91vettezr1
hi
could you clarify this?? there are 2 plugs but they only go in one way.? i am having the same issue, when switched to passenger or driver ,only the driver seat moves not the passenger. lumbar stuff seems ok. i looked under there and the wires are color coded and correctly inserted. i can't swap wires since they wont plug into each other. any help would be aprreciated. i have a 94 zr1 with sport seats.
thanks
todd
I had the same problem with my '96 sport seats when I purchased my car. BobRR3 is correct, there are two connectors under the driver seat and they will LOOK like they are connected correctly if you go by the wire colors on both sides of the male/female connector, but for sport seats that is not correct. If you have a FSM, look at the sport seat wiring diagram and note the wire colors entering and exiting the previously mentioned connectors, then compare them with the connectors under the driver seat and your problem will become obvious.

This exact problem is also mentioned in a troubleshooting table toward the back of the 1996 FSM, not in the seat section, I believe it's in the body section, ( sorry, I don't currently have access to my FSM).
Old 01-17-2011, 05:59 PM
IU-Z07
Intermediate

It is actually the mechanics of the left bolster that seem to have the problem. I have no idea how I could have damaged it. Has anyone seen this problem or torn the seat apart to see how the bolster works?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:38 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by MissileDoc
I had the same problem with my '96 sport seats when I purchased my car. BobRR3 is correct, there are two connectors under the driver seat and they will LOOK like they are connected correctly if you go by the wire colors on both sides of the male/female connector, but for sport seats that is not correct. If you have a FSM, look at the sport seat wiring diagram and note the wire colors entering and exiting the previously mentioned connectors, then compare them with the connectors under the driver seat and your problem will become obvious.

This exact problem is also mentioned in a troubleshooting table toward the back of the 1996 FSM, not in the seat section, I believe it's in the body section, ( sorry, I don't currently have access to my FSM).
THIS IS CORRECT, there is a controller box on the drivers seat that you can plug the wrong plug into, its looks and fits perfect but will cause what you are describing
Old 01-18-2011, 12:48 PM
IU-Z07
Intermediate

I will check out the wiring. In my car both seats work perfectly with the exception of the left passenger bolster.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 549 Likes on 410 Posts

Unzip the back of the seat cover and make sure the bolster hasn`t slid down.it just slides into a slot in the seat fame and mine slid down and wouldn`t work.If both seats are working you have the plugs right!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:46 PM
IU-Z07
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jamieo
Unzip the back of the seat cover and make sure the bolster hasn`t slid down.it just slides into a slot in the seat fame and mine slid down and wouldn`t work.If both seats are working you have the plugs right!
Thanks. This sounds like what I am dealing with. I probably knocked it out of place while cleaning and switching the seats.

Can you give any more guidance on what I need to look for once I get in there? Will it be pretty obvious?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:15 AM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

When you unzip it the air bladder for the bolster is between a thin plate and the seat frame.It sits vertically along the side.As you inflate it,it shoves the side foam and moves the bolster in.When you look at it you will see what I`m talking about and see how it works.Hope this is the problem as it is an easy fix.Pretty obvious how it works once you see it.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:46 AM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I hate to bring up an old post, but this is the EXACT problem I've had since removing my sport seats.
I also have been too lazy to work on the fix. Can't control the passenger seat. I have the FSM which lists this problem,
but I am picture/visual type guy. Which are the connectors to switch out? The ones to the left, or that connect to the strapped switch/box?
Or under that? Help!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:45 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Default Seat issues

Just look under the front of the driver`s seat.There are two plugs that are identical.Just unplug them and switch the connections and your seats should work fine.The wire colors will be mismatched but that is the way they are from the facory.If I could download a picture I would show you but it is really pretty simple.It isn`t any problem at all.Let us know how it goes!!
The following users liked this post:
Backseat Driver (11-13-2018)
Old 07-14-2011, 03:13 PM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Just look under the front of the driver`s seat.There are two plugs that are identical.Just unplug them and switch the connections and your seats should work fine.The wire colors will be mismatched but that is the way they are from the facory.If I could download a picture I would show you but it is really pretty simple.It isn`t any problem at all.Let us know how it goes!!
It works now! Easy Fix! You guys are a great help!
Thanks!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:16 PM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

I just had to add:
Mis-matching the wire colors: WTF?

Get notified of new replies

To Power seat issues

Old 07-14-2011, 09:41 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Default Seat issues

Glad you got it fixed!Wasn`t any problem was it?Sorry I couldn`t send a pic but I didn`t think you would have any trouble!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Marvyn741
4th Gear

Wrong! You don't want the plugs with mostly reds and yellows and the plugs with mostly blues and greens to match up.

Correct! You want the blues and greens to connect to the reds and yellows.

This is nuts, even for GM.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:07 AM
Backseat Driver
2nd Gear

Default Power sport seat operation.

I'd really like to thank Jamieo for this tip. Who in their right mind would design two connectors that would miss-match wire colours.

Quick Reply: Power seat issues