C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

what is a good voltmeter/ohm meter....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:08 PM
92PGC
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is a good voltmeter/ohm meter....

I am not an electrical guy, but need to troubleshoot a no start problem. what is a good voltmeter/ohm meter for my purposes ?

also any guidance/procedure for checking grounds, solenoid and starter would be helpful.

thanks

Last edited by 92PGC; 01-04-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:11 PM
SmokinRide
Instructor

harbor freight 3 bucks
Old 01-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Wal-Mart, Autozone, and any other auto parts store has them. No need to go expensive.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:36 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Harbor Freight has a digital VOM for $8 (I've bought them on sale for as low as $1.99 ) and they are accurate. I'm an EE and I own two of them, plus some other name brand ones. Its plenty good for car work!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:50 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 92PGC
what is a good voltmeter/ohm meter for my purposes?

also any guidance/procedure for checking grounds, solenoid and starter would be helpful.
Get a digital VOM, a DVOM. DVOMs do not 'load' the circuits like those with meters, which can damage the relatively delicate components. the better ones will protect against reverse connections, over voltage and some other things.

I am not a fan of HF, for anything except the few non-Chinese sourced items, like some sanding disks, which are not really any savings. This, because I like the reliability and longevity of quality tools; also those that do not damage what I am working on. I prefer to find great used gear, because it works for me, not against me.

You might search online to learn some electrical troubleshooting lessons and basic circuitry. Most of what you will need for your car is very basic, involving reading voltages and resistance values, like open (blown) fuses, bulbs, broken wires, bad grounds.

Consider, also, getting a 12vdc test light. It has an alligator clip to attach to ground and a sharp pointy probe to check for (in most car cases) 12vdc.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:46 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been using a RadioShack Digital Volt Ohm Meter for over 20 years with Great results.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:09 AM
azrocketman
Racer

The question is what are you trying to do? If all you want is basic continuity and 0-20 volt DC readings any inexpensive analog or digital multimeter will do the job. The $3.00 or less Harbor Freight digital multimeters are adequate for probably 95% of automotive troubleshooting.

Better meters will typically have less loading of circuits under test; this can be critical with certain electronic circuits if a high accuracy measurement is desired. Higher resolution displays, either bigger analog meter movements or more display digits, are available on higher dollar meters. I find a temperature input (thermocouple input) to be handy for some tests. Fluke, Simpson, and BK Precision are among the names for high quality multimeters. Be aware that may spend well in excess of $100.00 for one of their meters but they will last you a lifetime.

While digital meters are more typical anymore, analog meters can be easier to use if troubleshooting an intermittent. The least significant digits "jumping" of a digital display can be confused as intermittent operation. Movement of the analog needle is easier to detect if troubleshooting an intermittent circuit. Some better digital meters have a bargraph display in addition to the digital display to be more "analog like" in their operation. Peak hold is another feature of better digital meters that can be helpful.

I own both Fluke, Simpson, and cheapie meters. I keep the cheap meters in my toolbox for quick troubleshooting and use the Fluke or Simpson where their capabilities are desired.

Keep in mind that most hand held multimeters are limited to a maximum of 10 amps for current measurement. Many circuits will exceed the 10 amp limit if you are trying to measure current. Do look for a mutimeter that has a fuse on its current measurement circuits. I would buy an external shunt for high current measurements or an instrument dedicated for high current measurements if you have that need.

Steve

Last edited by azrocketman; 01-05-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:33 AM
azrocketman
Racer

Originally Posted by 92PGC
I am not an electrical guy, but need to troubleshoot a no start problem. what is a good voltmeter/ohm meter for my purposes ?

thanks
Measure the battery voltage with everything off before trying to start the car. You should measure about 12.3 to 12.6 volts for a fully charged battery. If less than 12.0 volts then I'd first test or charge the battery.

Watch the battery voltage while trying to start the car. Normal operation will cause the battery voltage to drop to approximately 9 to 10 volts during starting. If the battery voltage drops and the engine is turning normally then it's probably not a battery, starter wiring, or starter problem. Slow engine rotation during starting or voltages less than 9 volts indicate a weak battery.

If the battery voltage drops to approximately 9 to 10 volts (or less) and the engine does not turn then something may be locking the engine (one remote possibility is hydraulic lock) or something mechanical in the starter/solenoid assembly.

If the battery voltage does not drop to approximately 9 to 10 volts during starting then it's possibly the battery connections, grounds, wiring, solenoid, or starter motor. I'd start by inspection of the battery connections and wiring. There are voltage/resistance measurements you can make but I'd start with inspection first. Write back if you need to know what and where to measure.

A word of caution while troubleshooting. The battery can deliver a lot of current. When measuring and inspecting electrical connections remove any jewelery, especially rings. An extremely painful demonstration of resistance welding will be yours if you are not careful.

Steve
Old 01-05-2010, 02:15 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default junk worth what it cost

three items from hf that every vette owner should own (and have basic idea of use): hf 'fuel pressure tester' (<$20) and two of their 'low buck' DVOMs (toss one in toolbox and other in glovebox)
Old 01-05-2010, 02:49 PM
azrocketman
Racer

Might want to add one of their suction pumps for changing differential lubricant.

Steve
Old 01-05-2010, 02:50 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinRide
harbor freight 3 bucks
I paid $5.00
Old 01-05-2010, 03:12 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wal Mart has a DVOM with a 10 megohm input impedance that will not load damage sensitive circuits for about 15 bucks. It also has a handy battery checker that loads the battery down to check it. (small dry cell batteries). Great meter with no worries.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:22 PM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is one I recommend to those who do not have a good electronic background. It is a little more than those from HF, but it has 10 megohm impedance to protect computer circuits and the auto ranging feature will save a lot of head scratching while you are learning.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3320-Aut.../dp/B000EVYGZA
Old 01-05-2010, 05:55 PM
mechguy79
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fluke.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:03 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mechguy79
Fluke.

I've been using the same fluke 77AN no series number .....its so old it replaced a simpson 260.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Ryan59
Drifting

Fluke 73
Old 01-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Baldfart
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fluke 77

Get notified of new replies

To what is a good voltmeter/ohm meter....

Old 01-06-2010, 10:37 AM
azrocketman
Racer

Originally Posted by aboatguy

I've been using the same fluke 77AN no series number .....its so old it replaced a simpson 260.
I've got a Fluke 77 and a Simpson 260. If you need analog the 260 is hard to beat. I think the original poster can get by with cheaper meters based on the description of his needs and skills.

Steve
Old 01-06-2010, 11:12 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

a Fluke auto ranging digital multi meter is the best way to go. you want accurate values and a quality name you can trust and a tool you can rely on for years to come.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:14 AM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by toptechx6
Here is one I recommend to those who do not have a good electronic background. It is a little more than those from HF, but it has 10 megohm impedance to protect computer circuits and the auto ranging feature will save a lot of head scratching while you are learning.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3320-Aut.../dp/B000EVYGZA
That is the one that I purchased at Wal Mart..........

Quick Reply: what is a good voltmeter/ohm meter....