C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Go back to GM Opti after Dynaspark?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:48 PM
jimbomill
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Go back to GM Opti after Dynaspark?

When I had my '92 LT1 engine rebuilt a few years back, I 'opted' for the Dynaspark. Well, less than 5K miles later, there's no spark.

Has anyone reversed, going back to the standard opti ?
My son is working at a local GM place and despite some help from the senior mechanic, the procedure to reverse course did not work.
So, any helpful hints? Is there a wiring difference, perhaps?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:22 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Are you sure the MSD unit was no good and the source of the problem. I don’t know what instructions you have to go back to the original configuration but can there be another problem causing the no spark condition.

What was changed for the MSD wiring and have you installed an original opti at this point. Has any original wiring or plugs been cut.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:28 PM
jimbomill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Are you sure the MSD unit was no good and the source of the problem. I don’t know what instructions you have to go back to the original configuration but can there be another problem causing the no spark condition.

What was changed for the MSD wiring and have you installed an original opti at this point. Has any original wiring or plugs been cut.
I'll have to look up the folks who did the install, if they're still in business. I do not think any of the plugs have been cut. The wiring, we're not so sure of.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:17 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I see nothing in this post of an MSD? It is a Dynaspark. I would send the Dynaspark back for a looksee. The only way an Dynaspark is going to die is the cap/rotor broke or the optical sensor died (unlikely)
Verify all the wiring for the ignition is hooked up. And test your ICM and coil, before guessing whats wrong. A dealership can test these items. Check ignition fuses too.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:44 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 568 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40th
I see nothing in this post of an MSD? It is a Dynaspark. I would send the Dynaspark back for a looksee. The only way an Dynaspark is going to die is the cap/rotor broke or the optical sensor died (unlikely)
Verify all the wiring for the ignition is hooked up. And test your ICM and coil, before guessing whats wrong. A dealership can test these items. Check ignition fuses too.

MSD's optispark replacement was a PO$, based off of forum responses.

The Dynaspark (at least when it was its own company) had favorable reviews. Although Im not saying that yours could not have had a problem.

Id cover all the bases before digging into a distributor replacement.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:05 PM
jimbomill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dizwiz24

MSD's optispark replacement was a PO$, based off of forum responses.

The Dynaspark (at least when it was its own company) had favorable reviews. Although Im not saying that yours could not have had a problem.

Id cover all the bases before digging into a distributor replacement.
Supposedly, my son did do all that digging, with help I might add. He's staying late today to work on it. He's had it there for a time, narrowing it down to the Dynaspark. But he's young, so I guess we are all learning.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:37 PM
jimbomill
Burning Brakes

I'm back on travel and the car is back to running like a beast, according to my son's update! Thanks folks
Old 11-19-2009, 10:01 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbomill
I'm back on travel and the car is back to running like a beast, according to my son's update! Thanks folks
what did he end up doing to it?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:07 PM
jimbomill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skybolt31
what did he end up doing to it?
To go back to the Opti from the Dynaspark, they had to splice in a harness (I do not know all the connectivity details). The first take had at least two connections reversed.

Pretty much since the rebuild, once and a while I noticed the car would go sluggish. Less frequently at first, but much more lately. I wonder if there were Dynaspark issues from the get go?

Get notified of new replies

To Go back to GM Opti after Dynaspark?

Quick Reply: Go back to GM Opti after Dynaspark?