C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Why

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:51 PM
04VetPhil47
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why

Guys,

When I give my LT4 a hard acceleration my coolant temperature increases from 205 to 225 and I will smell coolant very strongly from inside my car (I can’t see a leak anywhere)?

Driving normally around town or on the interstate I have no symptoms of this at all, only under fast acceleration.

I recently changed my optispark, water pump, spark plug wires and coil.

I don’t have a clue as to what’s causing this.

Any I thoughts?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2009, 03:29 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 04VetPhil47
Guys,

When I give my LT4 a hard acceleration my coolant temperature increases from 205 to 225 and I will smell coolant very strongly from inside my car (I can’t see a leak anywhere)?

Driving normally around town or on the interstate I have no symptoms of this at all, only under fast acceleration.

I recently changed my optispark, water pump, spark plug wires and coil.

I don’t have a clue as to what’s causing this.

Any I thoughts?

Thanks
Strong coolant smell inside the car = leaking heater core.

Check around passenger side floor and under dash for coolant. If it is leaking you probably also have air in the system that is causing it to over heat.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:07 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
Strong coolant smell inside the car = leaking heater core.

Check around passenger side floor and under dash for coolant. If it is leaking you probably also have air in the system that is causing it to over heat.
That's where I would start also. See if the carpet is wet.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:47 PM
IRAraid
Racer

Default Coolant odor

My '95 had mild coolant odor for over a year and I feared the need for a core replacement coming on. Then one day during a high rev ramp entry, the 'flow control' in the heater hose blew out. Coolant all over the engine compartment. Pulled into a Quick Stop and bought lots of bottled water, put a short piece of pipe in place of the 'flow control' and limped home. Found the 'flow control' separated. New one about $20 at the dealers.
The 'flow control' is in the heater feed hose just above the #5 plug. Check it out, especially if your passenger side carpet is dry. If that rug is wet, do the core job.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:24 PM
04VetPhil47
Heel & Toe

Guys,

Thanks for the valuable information. I will check my carpet on the passenger side and check the heater feed hose controller just above the #5 plug.

Regarding bleeding the system, I only located one bleed screw near the thermostat housing, is there more than one bleed?

Thanks again,
Phil
Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 04VetPhil47
Regarding bleeding the system, I only located one bleed screw near the thermostat housing, is there more than one bleed?
There are 2 bleed screws. The other one is on the other side, deep under the top fat hose. Get a bright light and long screwdriver.

Get notified of new replies

To Why

Quick Reply: Why