C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EGR Exhaust Tube Clamp removal.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Von
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR Exhaust Tube Clamp removal.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the EGR exhaust tube clamp? This clamp connects the flanged end of the EGR tube to the exhaust manifold on the right side of the engine but does not seem to have any screws or springs to loosen it. How is it removed? I am desperately trying to avoid breaking it.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:53 AM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to spread the pinched part open just enough to to get the pipe off.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Von
Heel & Toe

When you say spread the pinched part open, I am thinking that you mean the ends come together somewhat like a lock washer and that those ends can be separated is that a correct assumtion. It looks to be one complete ring.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:13 AM
torchred89
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Von
When you say spread the pinched part open, I am thinking that you mean the ends come together somewhat like a lock washer and that those ends can be separated is that a correct assumtion. It looks to be one complete ring.
It is. if you spread the pinched part apart alittle bit it will come off. Good luck getting it back
Old 09-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Von
Heel & Toe

Will a new one be just as difficult to replace?

Looks like I may be in for more trouble that it is worth. I am doing this to temporarily move the tube up so that the valve cover can be removed. I tried to take the torx 35 screws loose at the EGR end but the screw on top stripped and if I try to tap it out, the ez out could break off. I thought the clamp would be a better option, but it is not starting to look this way.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:54 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Von
Will a new one be just as difficult to replace?

Looks like I may be in for more trouble that it is worth. I am doing this to temporarily move the tube up so that the valve cover can be removed. I tried to take the torx 35 screws loose at the EGR end but the screw on top stripped and if I try to tap it out, the ez out could break off. I thought the clamp would be a better option, but it is not starting to look this way.
Pull the distributor to gain clearance then try to get on the heads of the stripped bolts with a pair of needle nose vise grips to break them loose.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I used a screwdriver to spread it open. But I wasn't worried about keeping the clamp in good shape or re-installation, EGR system was going bye bye. With a strong set of needle nose you may be able to pinch it back together. I'm sure they actually make a tool for that clamp though.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:11 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
With a strong set of needle nose you may be able to pinch it back together. I'm sure they actually make a tool for that clamp though.
A pair of heavy-duty wire cutters works well also.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:36 PM
JSki
Advanced

I used a screwdriver to spread it open. But I wasn't worried about keeping the clamp in good shape or re-installation, EGR system was going bye bye. With a strong set of needle nose you may be able to pinch it back together. I'm sure they actually make a tool for that clamp though.
What'd you use to delete it (block plate?) and how'd you clear the ecm's knowledge of it existing? If unplugged will it trigger a code?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Von
Heel & Toe

Thank you all for the advise. I'll use that screw driver to spread it apart. I just found out through emails that Ecklers sells a de-compressed replacement clamp in the event I will need a new one. I will keep you posted on the repair. Thanks again, now I don't feel so alone in or like I'm exploring new waters on my own.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JSki
What'd you use to delete it (block plate?) and how'd you clear the ecm's knowledge of it existing? If unplugged will it trigger a code?
I did it at the same time I replaced the intake base, which came with a block off plates. I also have TPiS headers which actually have the tube coming out of the header with an internal NPT thread so I just screwed in a plug. I didn't get a code on mine, but shortly after installed larger injectors and a PCM 4 Less tune which deleted the EGR check.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:57 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Von
I tried to take the torx 35 screws loose at the EGR end but the screw on top stripped and if I try to tap it out, the ez out could break off. I thought the clamp would be a better option, but it is not starting to look this way.
When you say the Torx bolt stripped, do you mean that the head broke off?

With regard to the EGR Exhaust Tube Clamp, use your Dremmel tool to cut it so you can pry it off. Also, NAPA and most other parts houses have new tube clamps for about $5-$10. These is a special crimping tool to reinstall the new tube clamp. Any muffler shop can do this for you if you can't borrow a crimping tool somewhere.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:27 AM
Mountaineer
Instructor

I did it at the same time I replaced the intake base, which came with a block off plates. I also have TPiS headers which actually have the tube coming out of the header with an internal NPT thread so I just screwed in a plug. I didn't get a code on mine, but shortly after installed larger injectors and a PCM 4 Less tune which deleted the EGR check.
Ive been reading all I can find on this forum about what to do with that EGR tube that goes from the stock exhaust manifold up to the base of the intake when you install headers. I have an '87 L98 and am going to install the TPiS shorty-hugger headers that have no port or fitting for the EGR tube. So I am going to take the EGR tube off. But the questions I have are:

1. after you remove the pipe how do you plug the oval shape opening at the base of the intake ?
2. What do you do about the little sensor located near the intake base that has the little single wire that runs back and under the distributor, just take it off?
3. If you do away with that little sensor, do you get a fault code or does it effect how the motor runs?

I also have a question about deleting the air pump. Once you take off the air pump can you just get rid of all the related stuff, like the plastic two black valves with rubber hoses and wires connected to them (just above and to the passsenger side of the (water pump, and also can you get rid of the two capped off steel pipes and valves that are on both sides of the motor ?

Thanks for any advice

Last edited by Mountaineer; 08-14-2011 at 02:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To EGR Exhaust Tube Clamp removal.

Quick Reply: EGR Exhaust Tube Clamp removal.