C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

backup light problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:53 PM
brent317
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backup light problem?

Hey anybody, I have a 95 that when I put the car in reverse ,I get no backup lights. Checked the bulbs and the fuse, both are ok. Car has manual 6 speed. Can anyone tell what might be wrong? Thanks alot,you guys always seem to be able to help. brent317
Old 09-13-2009, 04:04 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's the reverse switch. Located on the driver's side of the transmission, and known for being problematic. You can get a replacement at any of the normal stores. To replace it, jack up the car, and find the plug towards the front end of the transmission, up on the side. Use a 7/8" deep-offset box wrench to get it off; that's the only tool that will work, so just go buy one. I spent 2 hours trying to get it out with a garage full of tools before I submitted and went to Sears. Took 5 minutes once I got back with the wrench.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:19 PM
murray59
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brent did you get your back up lights working? Was it the switch? Just wondering because mine aren't working and the bulbs and fuse are good.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:58 PM
ccs96
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor 06-'07

Originally Posted by StealthLT4
It's the reverse switch. Located on the driver's side of the transmission, and known for being problematic. You can get a replacement at any of the normal stores. To replace it, jack up the car, and find the plug towards the front end of the transmission, up on the side. Use a 7/8" deep-offset box wrench to get it off; that's the only tool that will work, so just go buy one. I spent 2 hours trying to get it out with a garage full of tools before I submitted and went to Sears. Took 5 minutes once I got back with the wrench.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:40 PM
brent317
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No not yet. Today I ended up replacing the horn contacts . Will probably have to go buy the 7/8 box end offset first. I am still going to check the connector first to see if it is possibly corroded. Brent
Old 04-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Brian Smith
Intermediate

Keep me posted as I have the same problem and just haven't troubleshot it any further than you have Lamps, fuses etc. Did not know this is a problematic switch. I don't back up often so its not really an issue.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 AM
-=Tom=-
Racer

Originally Posted by StealthLT4
That's it, mine died on my 95 a couple years back and the switch was the culprit.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:39 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Check your license plate bulbs. They share the same wiring harness and if one (or both) of those bulbs are blown, the rear cornering lights won't come on, either.

Get notified of new replies

To backup light problem?

Quick Reply: backup light problem?