C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil Consumption, 383 LT1 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:23 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetyfivevette
Gotcha. So I'm wondering, could the intake gasket be at fault if your TB is coated? I guess if you have enough reversion, oil vapor can get blown around.

When my engine was stock, I'd get soot deposits on my TB and intake, but now it's just straight oil.

Not sure at this point, it was pretty wet, once I get the intake pulled it will reveal a bit more but I have never noticed anything on my TB previous to the rebuild.

How much oil is in your CCV line?
Havent checked it yet, but even if there was a problem there from the previous posts it seems it wouldn't cause it to burn this much.

What about an uprated oil pump putting more oil in the heads, increasing the amount of oil getting sucked through the PCV/CCV?
Oil pump is stock.

I'm thinking about adding an air/oil separator on the CCV line, hose everything down with brake cleaner, and see how the TB and intake look after a few hundred miles.

Anyway, I'm not trying to hijack your thread- it just seems we have a very similar issue and what you find may help me as well.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Lane 67
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same symptoms in my LT4 383, less than 6k miles on the clock since rebuild and it consumes a quart in every 600 miles. This is how the thorttle body looked when I pulled it off:

Old 03-15-2010, 06:29 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

that looks pretty bad
Old 03-15-2010, 08:19 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

how about running a catch can?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:19 PM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As already mentioned I would also try a leak down test at TDC
Old 03-16-2010, 05:35 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BLOCKMAN
As already mentioned I would also try a leak down test at TDC
What the best way to make sure im at TDC when doing the leakdown?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:39 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 468 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40th
I think it is very simple. Low tension oil rings. Your plugs will look fine, compression test is fine etc.
I went through this with my 396LT1 with SRP pistons, which are a little tighter than there other pistons, JE. But the low tension rings was/is a oil consumption problem. It gives a little more power, but uses much more oil. My 2 top rings were 1/16 "at .018 and oil rings were 3/16 at .018. Pretty darn tight, and pistons were 30 over with .003 clearance.
Search my name, steve40th, and there are many threads on this, on many forums.
I just changed my rings, with about 5000 miles on them, to standard tension rings, and now I am around 1200-1500 miles per quart, which is better than the less than 750 a quart before.
Thats my 2 cents.
Ask your builder what rings he used.
Low tension rings would be my first guess.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:10 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Its throwing a lot of blue smoke at startup too. If it was the oil rings wouldn't have been burning that much oil from day one. This was a gradual thing. Decided to just pull the throttle body to take a look, any signs in these few pics? Some oil behind the throttle body gasket.

Last edited by n1kki6; 03-21-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:34 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Got a flash light into the intake, im thinking that it not the problem at this point.

Read this on another forum.

"Running into this on my Vette. My recommendation would be to vent both valve covers to a dual input breather tank (catch can with a breather filter on top, no vacuum source), leave the stock PCV as-is since you're not FI, and empty the catch can as necessary. Right now I bet you find an oily mess behind your TB from the sounds of it."

COuld something as mentioned abover help?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:48 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

I will probably just live with it for the time being if its the rings.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:08 PM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks just like what I've got going as well.

Is you PCV full of oil too?

If the catch can is the vented style, won't that defeat the system?

I'm thinking about experimenting with one of these $16 ebay specials:

Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Im not running with a catch can right now, which is probably alot of the problem. Im can do some engine work but didn't do anything on this build, is this something I should add?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:58 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Any how to's on me adding a catch can?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Tear that thing apart and find the cause of the oil problem before spending money on catch cans and forum fixes. Bet its the intake gasket.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:46 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Looking inside the intake there was residue but nothing shining. I guess im really not in do it myself mode right now so I am leaning towards just bringing it in. But I can pull the intake and check and replace the gaskets easy enough. Initials fire up after the winter a ton of blue smoke was rolling out. Took it out tonight and car ran smooth, no smoke at start, crazy smoke when I got on it.

It seems likely after the 383 build that it could be low tension rings or a combination of things.

I have owned the car a couple months shy of 9 years there is no way I am getting rid of it but work is kicking my *** right now and just getting it right is my primary goal so I am thinking the fastest track to getting it fixed is to bring it in and have someone else take a look. I just don't have it in me right now to chase down the problem.

I didn't do the build and although through the life of the car I have done the clutch, flywheel, main seal, slave cylinder, intake gaskets, u-joints, bearings etc, I just don't feel like jumping into yet something else I have never done is my best bet to getting this resolved.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:17 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

One other thing I should note as well, and 90% of my miles are highway, but since I started noticing the oil consumption my avg. mpg has jumped to about 27 from about 21 and my driving habits have never changed, the corvette has always been get out on the high way and cruise car, punch it on the ramps or open road.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:54 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Hey, I know its hard to hear this, but its your rings. Change them or continue adding oil.
A catch can, which I did prior to replacing my low tension rings, only allowed me to catch the oil prior to going back into your manifold.
Breathers sorta help, but not much, as I did the valve cover breathers too.
The catch can I used is from a C5 forum member who sell REAL catch cans designed for oil separation, Dave68(c5 tech section) has the most effective catch can readily available :http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/Ins...20Corvette.pdf
Anyways, look my name up for LT1 catch cans and you can see where I mounted mine. Works fine, and I get better oil longevity after changing the rings, easily doubled in all city driving which uses more oil.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Consumption, 383 LT1 Build

Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Not so much hard to hear, I don't care as long as I know what it is and can find a solution, catching he oil and spending to replace it is much better than letting it burn, and for the time being is a much better solution for me than putting the car on blocks again. Is there any sort of system to vacuum the catch can back into the crank case?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:37 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by n1kki6
Not so much hard to hear, I don't care as long as I know what it is and can find a solution, catching he oil and spending to replace it is much better than letting it burn, and for the time being is a much better solution for me than putting the car on blocks again. Is there any sort of system to vacuum the catch can back into the crank case?
There are vacuum systems out there and C4's have done them. Not cheap either. One person used a BMW air pump that worked. It is a project you need to research as you need to pull the right vacuum or it can be bad. NASCAR does this vacuum system. Look into it and research it, as it is hard to do in our engine compartment,
Vacuum pumps do work, you just need to know how to do it right. Trust me, it was on my plate, and I just went ahead and did the rings.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:45 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

I'm not stuck on doing it myself, being in MN I have the likes of TPIS and Doug Rippie in the area and I am not opposed to just spending the money at this point. I guess the bigger question is, is it worth it or if I am ok just putting oil in is that fine or can other damage come to the forefront?

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption, 383 LT1 Build