C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need advice. What is the highest HP # can makes a L98-LT1 engine with this SC setup??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 09:01 AM
Greenbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advice. What is the highest HP # can makes a L98-LT1 engine with this SC setup??

I was thinking to sell my C4, but nobody interested yet, so I'm going to do an engine project.
But need some advice and recomendation about getting a hightest HP # in this engine that I'm going to build.
I'm looking for a setup with SC to get around at least 800hp-850hp at crank!!
I don't want a setup for drag race but I want it for top end highway races (rolling 40mph to 160mph) with some crazy guys here in my country with Supras and RX-7 with a lot of power!!!

I'm from Panama (outside of U.S.) and will be sending my '89 roadster C4 by a close container to Baltimor Port next week. After arrive in the port will be pick up the car and shipped to a shop in Maryland name JIM'S PERFORMANCE.
I have dealed with this shop before and the owner seems very honest.
ANY INPUT ABOUT THIS SHOP????? The other reason I choose this shop is because the price, very good and the owner Jim France has a lot of knowledge about SC system.

So here is the engine setup for build but need really opinions of you to know if I'm doing right the best or not!!

-LATE BLOCK WITH 383CID STROKER ENGINE (FORGED CRANK, RODS AND LOW COMPRESSION PISTON)
-AFR HEADS WITH HIGHEST STAGE PORTED SYSTEM FOR BETTER FLOW (NOT REMEMBER THE MODEL OF THE HEADS)
-CUSTOM HYDRAULIC ROLLER CAM DESIGNED FOR TOP END POWER
-TPIS MINIRAM INTAKE WITH PORTED JOB TO MATCH THE HEADS
-VORTECH T-TRIM SUPERCHARGER FOR 15PSI
-CUSTOM AFTERCOOLER SYSTEM
-ACCEL DFI SYSTEM OR SPEED PRO SYSTEM (WICH ONE DO YOU RECOMEMDED?)
-55LB/HR INJECTOR SIZES WITH BIGGER FUEL LINES
-PAXTON EXTERNAL 1000 FUEL PUMP
-MCLEOD DUAL DISC CLUTCH SYSTEM WITH ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL
-HOOKER CERAMIC HEADERS
-TRI-FLOW EXHAUST

And many other stuff like distribuitor, coil, ignition, plugs, wires, blow off valve, all those are aftermarket stuff.

So I'm spending like 12k for this engine.
Can you give me your input/tips about it or some corrections that I need to do for get what I want??

Thanks a lot!!
Old 02-17-2002, 11:17 AM
Stan A
Racer

May I suggest something. If you cannot work on this car when it is finished or have someone in your area that can then I would consider re-thinking what you are planning to do. I am sure that there is someone in your area that can handle a stock Corvette but to handle repairs and running issues on a car that you are planning on building maybe another issue.

Food for thought........................

Stan A :seeya
Old 02-17-2002, 11:32 AM
dtorc4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Need advice.

I agree with Stan. Yeah, Jim can get your engine built and tuned. But what happens when you are going 180 and your SC goes out? Or you spin a bearing? Is there going to be somebody there who can fix it? Do you plan on shipping it back to Jim every time something needs to be done?

As far as the mods go...

DAAAAAAAMMMMMMMN :eek:

Looks good. You might what to go higher than 383 - maybe 400+. With the money you're talking about, it shouldn't be a problem for him to add extra cubes. Good luck!! :cheers:
Old 02-17-2002, 11:32 AM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: (Stan A)

I know of a lot of great work that has come out of Jims shop. He is a really nice guy and knows his stuff about supercharging. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
Old 02-17-2002, 11:35 AM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Need advice. What is the highest HP # can makes a L98-LT1

Jims Performance has done some high powered SC Vettes, so you are picking a good shop to do the work. As for setup, you might want to look into retrofiting the LT1 intake over a Miniram. The Miniram has air distrubition issues with high hp engine like you are building.
Old 02-17-2002, 11:37 AM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Need advice.

Oh Yeah, I would go with Speed Pro.
Old 02-17-2002, 12:04 PM
Greenbeast
Burning Brakes

Default Re: (Stan A)

Stand:

I agree with your advice. But I tell you something!!

If I think that some stuff in the setup could be bad or not working well I never can get what my passion want - SPEED!!!!!!
And the other thing is I already has a heavely C5 done by DRM and is working here as from factory.... THANKS TO GOD!!

So I think positive in this project and doing the best!!

The other thing is Jim says that at that level of boost, it doen't care about the cubes inches, 383 wil be just fine for my application!!!!!

Thanks!!!!
Old 02-17-2002, 02:35 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (Greenbeast)

If you can actually get 15psi on the boost with out belt slippery . I am sure you will see about 650+rwhp. Seem like a very nice setup you have there. I am also in the process of building a forged internals 383ci LT1 will be running ATI D1SC procharger and I am shooting for about 14psi along with 150hp NX. I am running poted stock head 2.00 x 1.56 valves and a custom grind cam extreme energy 214/224 @ .05 .569/.606 with my 1.6 rr. As for fuel system I am running aeromotive 1000hp pump with 10AN feed and 6AN return. I am shoot for 700rwhp with the Juice .

Bruce
93LT1 Conv w/ZF6
top end mods
150hp NX jetted
Blown 383ci is in the work
Old 02-17-2002, 03:16 PM
Greenbeast
Burning Brakes

Default Re: (Bruce)

If you can actually get 15psi on the boost with out belt slippery . I am sure you will see about 650+rwhp. Seem like a very nice setup you have there. I am also in the process of building a forged internals 383ci LT1 will be running ATI D1SC procharger and I am shooting for about 14psi along with 150hp NX. I am running poted stock head 2.00 x 1.56 valves and a custom grind cam extreme energy 214/224 @ .05 .569/.606 with my 1.6 rr. As for fuel system I am running aeromotive 1000hp pump with 10AN feed and 6AN return. I am shoot for 700rwhp with the Juice .

You also has nice setup in your C4.
What spec is the D1 blower system? Is it louder than Vortech V1 SC??

Thanks!!
Bruce
93LT1 Conv w/ZF6
top end mods
150hp NX jetted
Blown 383ci is in the work
Old 02-17-2002, 03:43 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (Greenbeast)

Votech or procharger both are good kits. I like the procharger because their kit come with intercooler. Also the D1 kit is rated for 900hp and the D1SC is self contain that required no oil line for easy install and is suppose running cooler and quieter beause og the self contain. Either way ATI or Votech both are good. Check them out. http://www.procharger.com. Good luck

Also, if you decided to buy the ATI kit. DO NOT buy directly from ATI you can get it cheaper from ATI dealer.

Bruce

[Modified by Bruce, 1:47 PM 2/17/2002]
Old 02-18-2002, 12:30 AM
ChrisB
Pro

Default Re: Need advice. What is the highest HP # can makes a L98-LT1 engine with this SC setup??

-LATE BLOCK WITH 383CID STROKER ENGINE (FORGED CRANK, RODS AND LOW COMPRESSION PISTON)

If you go LT1 then I would look for a 2 bolt block - have it converted to a splayed 4-bolt block. This should be stronger than a factory 4 bolt block. A 383 is probably as large as I would go for your boost level, and would run a 5.7 or at least 5.85" rod. A set of custom JE's (2618) for sure.

If you go with a normal SBC (L98) I would seriously consider going with a little bigger motor - a motown or dart iron eagle block would be both excellent choices. The more cubic inches the better :) Again, you are going to want a set of quality rods, and a set of real JE or equivalent pistons (I wouldn't run SRP's at the 800rwhp power level).
if you get a custom piston you can generally send the piston company a plaster of your heads and the piston reverse dome can be machined to match.

I would seriously consider ceramic coatings on your parts also.

-AFR HEADS WITH HIGHEST STAGE PORTED SYSTEM FOR BETTER FLOW (NOT REMEMBER THE MODEL OF THE HEADS)

For a setup like yours I would be using the AFR LT4 215rr castings. You will not find many 23 degree heads that will outflow these, and the LTx versions allow you to use normal valvetrain/headers/lt4 intake. Stay away from AFR's porting though - buy the heads bare, and have a competent head porter work and assemble them (I am not a fan of AFR's springs, etc. either).

-TPIS MINIRAM INTAKE WITH PORTED JOB TO MATCH THE HEADS

No point in going with a mini-ram. If you go LTx then go with the LT4 intake - otherwise something like a victor is the way to go.

-VORTECH T-TRIM SUPERCHARGER FOR 15PSI

Make sure you go with a cogged setup - it will save you from trouble and headache in the future. You may be able to make a serpentine setup work but it will be a much bigger pita.

-CUSTOM AFTERCOOLER SYSTEM

Spearco

-ACCEL DFI SYSTEM OR SPEED PRO SYSTEM (WICH ONE DO YOU RECOMEMDED?)

Speed Pro (now fast). Make sure to get the wideband upgrade, but don't worry about the sequential upgrade.

-55LB/HR INJECTOR SIZES WITH BIGGER FUEL LINES

Not big enough. I would be looking closer to the 72lb/hr level. Since you are going with an aftermarket DFI get low impedance (peak and hold) injectors.

-PAXTON EXTERNAL 1000 FUEL PUMP

A fine fuel pump, though if you can fit it in your budget I would consider a Weldon.

Good Luck, sounds like a fun project!

Old 02-18-2002, 02:03 PM
Greenbeast
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Need advice. What is the highest HP # can makes a L98-LT1 engine with this SC setup?? (ChrisB)

Thanks for your advice ChrisB!!

I will let Jim know about the thread!

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice. What is the highest HP # can makes a L98-LT1 engine with this SC setup??

Quick Reply: Need advice. What is the highest HP # can makes a L98-LT1 engine with this SC setup??