C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Autocross Tire Question, Please share you experience.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 09:13 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Autocross Tire Question, Please share you experience.

Hey,
Did autocross for the first time today, one thing is apparent I do not want to destroy my good street tires. And I am planning on running as often as possible.
What are my options?
1 Street legal slicks on my rims?
2. Second set of chaeper rims with street legal slicks
3. Second set of cheap rims with racing slicks, and Transport them somehow?

Whats the most economical way to go here?
Tire recomendations (size and brand)
Where could I find A cheap set of rims (17X11 and 17x9.5)

Thanks in advance
Gonzo

[Modified by Gonzo, 8:14 PM 2/16/2002]
Old 02-17-2002, 01:07 AM
TravisD
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Autocross Tire Question, Please share you experience. (Gonzo)

The "budget" autocross tire is the Kumho Victoracer V700. It's available in 275/40/17 and 315/35/17 for the wheel combo you mentioned. The high-dollar autocross tire is the hoosier.

Neither is suitable for the street - the Kumho takes occasionall street trips but woudn't last long at all. The hoosier is a little too "Delicate" apparently for the street. So, a second set of rims woudl be in order. E-bay, salvage yards, etc. They don't have to look good as long as they're round :)

Old 02-17-2002, 11:00 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Autocross Tire Question, Please share you experience. (TravisD)

Thanks Travis.

Do you just swap,out rims at the event Then?

Gonzo
Old 02-17-2002, 02:48 PM
4GTWRK
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bill,

I'm trying to purchase another set of wheels from another Forum member. If it works out, I may be able to fix you up with some wheels and Kumhos. A lot of guys will pull a little 4x4 trailer behind their car with their race tires and change at the event.

It sounds like you must of had a good time. I told you, it's very addicting.

Later,
Dave Cooper
R-D Racing Enterprises, Inc.
Old 02-17-2002, 04:11 PM
TravisD
Burning Brakes

The last couple of years some of the events were pretty close (<10 miles) from my house so I just changed in the driveway and drove over. For events further away I transported tires and changed at the event. This is running Kumhos, not Hoo$ier$. This has been true on my previous autocrosser (Saturn) and the Vette (bought last half of last year). I've got a hitch for the vette sitting in the garage - trying to decide if I want to install it (it's a fixed tongue) or spend more $$ on a receiver style. Then, I plan on purchasing the Autocrossers freind, the Harbor Freight 40x48" trailer to transport. Until then, my Better Half follows behind in the Exploder with the tires :)

I lucked out and bought a 9.5/11" set of wheels from another local autocrosser for a decent price. The fronts are stock late-c4 wheels (is that the "buzzsaw" or "turbine" or how else do you describe it?) and the rears are an aftermarket (centerline I think). Definitley not lookers, but they're round :)
Old 02-17-2002, 06:54 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Default Re: Autocross Tire Question, Please share you experience. (TravisD)

I would run the Kuhoms and find some Grand Sport Wheels 17x9.5/11 and run 275s and 315s Kuhmos as mentioned. If you want to get more serious buy some CCW wheels http://ccwheel.com/ to race on. I would recommend not buying aftermarket wheels until you know what class you want to run the car. Run a few more events on the street setup unless you run across a deal on GS wheels.

Where did you autox Turner Field? If so at the next event talk to Paul Barros in a 96 CE LT4. He is very knowledgable and goes by 96CELT4 on this forum. You might want to get on the local SCCA e-mail list. http://www.atl-scca.org/

[Modified by 93Polo, 5:54 PM 2/17/2002]
Old 02-17-2002, 07:24 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Well, so long as you are just starting out and you have already modded your car out of AS class you might as well buy all 4 11" wheels now and get it over with. Contact http://www.afs.com for the 11" wheels or any other advertisers here on the forum in in vette mags on the shelf. Why run smaller up front when you can run bigger?? More rubber is better. Just a little more money for tires is all.
I mount my race setup at home and then drive to the event, which is about 15 miles away. :D
Old 02-17-2002, 10:17 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Autocross Tire Question, Please share you experience. (Goody)

Hey
Dave keep me informed I am very interested. I really did some damage to my street tires though, and those 335's cost a bundle. I am palnning on attening more events, I really had a good time, and learned alot about how to handle the car.
I meet paul and he was kind enough to take me on a couple runs, great guy and great driver.
BUT I am certain I need some other tires, If my wife and kids will go they can transport them in the truck, if not it looks like I would have to set it up at how and drive to the Stadium (30 miles). That could get expensive just comuting on slicks and would it be legal.
The car did take some abuse, ended up with a couple scratch's but what the hell, hopefuly I would'nt eat as many cone's. Truly alot of fun.
Oh and one last point, Camber brace worth every cent. If you autcross get one.

Gonzo
Old 02-18-2002, 12:25 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

The reason I say to hold on buying wheels is you don't want to buy a set and then not be legal in your class. I don't like the AFS, they are heavier and not as strong as stock. I will never buy another set of factory wheel look a likes. If you still have you factory 17x8.5's you could buy 2 more 17x9.5s and some Kuhmos or Yokohama A520s in stock sizes. The 520 are regular street tires but fairly cheap and handle very well. I think Paul runs 4 stock 17x9.5 and 275 Kuhmos for his stock class. The stock wheels are not very heavy.

Lamar
PS Tell Paul I said hello next time if I'm not there :seeya

[Modified by 93Polo, 11:26 PM 2/17/2002]
Old 02-18-2002, 12:52 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Re: Autocross Tire Question, Please share you experience. (93Polo)

See da sig! :D

hated wearing my street tires out.
$$$ no to meantion dangerous ( ball tires + puddle on highway = :eek: )

When you switch over to race tires, you won't believe the difference in your times! :cheers:
Old 02-18-2002, 01:36 AM
JasonL
Melting Slicks

I know tons of guys who put thousands of street miles on their Kumhos (and even some who run them as their street tire). It is not that fragile. You just need to watch out for road hazards because they tend to attract screws. And if you commute on them for too many weeks, they will harden from the extra heat cycles.

Now the Hoosier DOTs, they don't have steel belts and that is more of a risk while running on the street. I still know guys who drive on Hoosiers short distances to the event (both A3S03 and R3S03)
Old 02-18-2002, 05:18 AM
PylonBoy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing no one has thrown out...

The Yokohama A032R advans. They won't work as well as either the kumho's or the Hoosiers, but my old mechanic had a car that he daily drove with these tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....ma&model=A032R

Get notified of new replies

To Autocross Tire Question, Please share you experience.

Quick Reply: Autocross Tire Question, Please share you experience.