C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rocker adjustment,FSM or COMP Cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:27 PM
MR NICE
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker adjustment,FSM or COMP Cam

Hi, I'm getting ready to install isky adjustable guideplates,Comp cam and the FSM show a different method for adjusting the lifter preload,FSM method is less involved than Comp cams method,anyone have a suggestion on which method to use?Hyd flat tappet cam.Thanks
Old 08-04-2009, 12:45 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hyd roller or flat tappet the adjustment shouldn't vary for finding "0" lash. I don't care for the FSM's "0" lash approach bump or 3/4 of a turn preload...too much room for error if their is no oil in the lifters. I'm not familar with the Comp Cams approach.

Me..I've done the FSM approach in the past but I still feel that there easier method - just ensure that each lifter's pushrod seat is extended all the way slap some assembly lube on the all the surfaces and tighten the rocker nut until I feel the pushrod start to bind from the lifter's inner spring (spinning pushrod with finger tips while tightening)....then give it a 1/4 to 3/8 turn of preload.

In the end do what ever approach your most comfortable with.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:48 PM
89onlyZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

FSM method should be fine for all but the wildest cams (where you may not exactly be on the base circle for all 8 valves you're doing at once). I always go to zero lash and do the full turn after just because the parts always seem to settle in slightly.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:12 PM
MBDiagMan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

89only is correct. You only need to use the Comp method if you are dealing with a really wild cam. In fact, for a factory cam, you can set it on two crankshaft positions and get them all, but I would follow the FSM and give it a 1/2 turn.

Comp also recommends setting them dry in their method and they give a good reason for it, but I have set them pre oiled and dry with no discernible difference.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:03 PM
MR NICE
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ran the motor so the lifters have oil in them,the cam is not stock,268 comp xfi,I used the FSM with 3/4 turn past 0 lash method the first time,runs fine but some of the rockers do not ride perfect on the valve stems,I'm going to install the adjustable guideplates today,I want to make sure the FSM method will work or is right for my cam.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:36 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

There are several different ways to set lifter preload. All of them will work, but only if done correctly. Personally, I prefer to use the method recommended by the cam manufacturer. Once you become creative and introduce variables, errors begin to creep in.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!

Get notified of new replies

To Rocker adjustment,FSM or COMP Cam

Quick Reply: Rocker adjustment,FSM or COMP Cam