C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92-96 C4 T-56 conversion - yes, I searched

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:51 AM
shadowskill
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 92-96 C4 T-56 conversion - yes, I searched

Already searched but most of the threads are closed, and others are for earlier vettes.

I've got a 95 LT1 C4, I want it for DE, so it has to have a manual tranny. Lot's of T56 with lots of options and vendors, and I even have an almost new fbody LS1 T-56 on the garage. Sweeet would be a nice swap for this tranny; if its not a major PITA, I would like to go ahead with pics.

Bellhousing

AFIK fitment at the engine side would be solved with this bellhousing (RM-6023 - SB/BB Chevy Bellhousing to T56 LS-1 Chevy Transmission):
http://www.quicktimeinc.com/products.html#chevy
or maybe these guys:
http://www.weirhotrodproducts.com/id2.html

Tailshaft, channel & center plates

for the tailshaft side I would need this kit (T-56 * 6-Speed CONVERSION KIT):
http://www.prostreetcustoms.net/CorvettePage.html
It says it contains the following:
  • "C" Channel Bracket.
  • Bottom Tail Shaft Plate..
  • 3/4" Center Plate.
  • 2- 8x1/2" Grade 8 Bolts.
  • 3- 10mm x 1.5 Mount Bolts.
  • 1- Top Fastener Bracket.
  • 1- Set Installation Book.

He also can make an adapter plate for the shifter placement (which would be at the center by default).

Parts list

Other things I would need:
  • Pedal assembly
  • Spec's 3+ or Z06 clutch kit (11" aftermarket or stock config)
    • flywheel
    • pressure plate
    • throwout and pilot bearings
  • Master/slave cylinder
  • Hurst short shifter
  • Shifter boot
  • Console trim
  • Reverse lock pigtail
  • Floor Tunnel Hump

Any parts I would be missing? Should I better use a'LT1 T-56? (although the throwout bearing from the LS1 T-56 is a hydraulic unit that eliminates the clutch fork and is a push style)

Reference for a bare 84 full LT1 engine/T-56 tranny swap (may I need a different driveshaft even with the adapter kit?):
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ed-help-2.html

Any suggestions appreciated
Old 08-04-2009, 11:21 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Where does the shifter come up in relation to the ZF? The ZF's shifter is offset a few inches from the T56 position. . . .
Old 08-04-2009, 01:44 PM
shadowskill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RUKWKR
Where does the shifter come up in relation to the ZF? The ZF's shifter is offset a few inches from the T56 position. . . .
Shifter is in the same location as normal shifter except its located in the center of the trans, so I guess the adapter plate is for moving it a little bit to the left.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You could also use an LT1 T56 straight from an LT1 f-body, with the f-body bell housing. I *think* this would allow you to keep the stock hydraulics, but I haven't looked at an LT1 f-body in forever.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:39 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mojave
You could also use an LT1 T56 straight from an LT1 f-body, with the f-body bell housing. I *think* this would allow you to keep the stock hydraulics, but I haven't looked at an LT1 f-body in forever.
Yeah but you would still have to deal with the shifter offset thing - I'm just not seeing how this is being handled.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:22 PM
shadowskill
Intermediate

I have an A4 (4L60E) so I guess would need to get hydraulics anyway. What worries me are clutch (flywheel, clutch plate, bearings) componets.

Last edited by shadowskill; 08-05-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RUKWKR
Yeah but you would still have to deal with the shifter offset thing - I'm just not seeing how this is being handled.
I've seen pics of an LS1/T56 swap and from what I remember the shifter didn't look all that crazy. I wish I had more tech than that, but I guess someone needs to just try it and we'll know for sure.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:11 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

I've seen pics of an LS1/T56 swap and from what I remember the shifter didn't look all that crazy. I wish I had more tech than that, but I guess someone needs to just try it and we'll know for sure.
I've got a pic I'll try to get up that shows the difference - I think it's around 2 inches offset - seems like it's enough to where you would need to offset the LS motor a little to compensate, which probably isn't a big deal, I think even the LT motors are offset a tad.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:30 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

OK here you go:

T5 vs T56:

ZF6:

These are scanned from the "Chevrolet Engine Swapping" manual from JTR Publishing.

In the text, it says the T56 shifter is offset to the driver's side 1.75" MORE than the T5 - you can see above the T5 is 1.5" offset which means the T56 shifter would have a total offset from centerline of 3.25"

Then of course you look at the ZF offset and it shows exactly 3.25" so it "appears" from this information that the ZF and T56 offsets are the same, but I could have sworn I had seen somewhere that said they weren't? Oh well. That's good news if you are looking to do a T56 swap I suppose. Not sure about the length of ZF vs T56 but I would think they are almost identical.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:58 AM
shadowskill
Intermediate

This guy has the difference of both LT1 and LS1 T-56s with pics, shifter seems to be at the center of the tunnel:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tra...-pictures.html

What worries me is clutch fitment (not sure how this could be with quicktimeinc's bellhousing). And I would like to have a nice push style spec+ clutch kit.

Someone is selling me a ZF (internals in good contition, external shell and bellhousing repaired -soldered bc of a crash-) with clutch, hydraulics, bellhousing and yoke for about 900; but my brother sells me his LS1 T56 almost new for 250. Push type clutches and single-mass flywheels are very convenient nowadays: lots of options, not scarse at all and good prices. What to do, what to do...

Get notified of new replies

To 92-96 C4 T-56 conversion - yes, I searched

Quick Reply: 92-96 C4 T-56 conversion - yes, I searched