C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:15 PM
surfer92
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise

When I take off from a stop sign or light, I here what sounds like valve train noise. But, when I rev the engine w/me listening under the hood, all I hear is the injectors, but I know the noise I hear is not the FI's.
The car has Bosch III FI's and headers, should a exhaust leak be more audible with me listening under the hood or a stuck valve for that matter?
Old 11-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Wathen1955
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the same issue I have:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...lve-train.html
I think mine is a sticky valve, but not really sure. After sitting for a week, I fired her up yesterday and took off for a short drive. I heard it for about 8 seconds until it went away.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:05 PM
surfer92
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought, would using Sea Foam help tell me if I have a exhaust leak or would it probably to small a leak to show that way?
Old 11-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can get someone to help have them start the car and stand on the brake with it in gear and rev it up some while you listen in the engine bay. If it's a exhaust leak you'll probably hear it. They tend to just sound off under load.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:15 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

An exhaust leak will cause a ticking noise that normally gets louder with higher RPM's. It wouldn't hurt to tighten the manifold bolts. I chased a tick for a few weeks and it turned out to be loose header bolts.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:52 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by jimmers
An exhaust leak will cause a ticking noise that normally gets louder with higher RPM's. It wouldn't hurt to tighten the manifold bolts. I chased a tick for a few weeks and it turned out to be loose header bolts.
I had the same thing on a different make car

Get notified of new replies

To Engine noise

Quick Reply: Engine noise