C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

starter

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:53 PM
jojolt1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default starter

Hi everyone,
Need to change the starter in my 96 corvette, looking for all the do's and don'ts.
Thanks,
JoJo
Old 07-25-2009, 02:24 PM
GREENC493
Heel & Toe

I change mine a couple of years ago. Most important is to make sure the battery is diconnected. The aluminum lines in the area will ground through the tools also look where the starter is bolted to the block when you pull it down, there could be shims on it you would what back in place. I think there are only two bolts that hold mount the starter and two wire connections on the back(take these off first if possible).
Old 07-25-2009, 04:34 PM
IRAraid
Racer

Default Starter

It's worth the little extra time to remove the knock sensor shield and disconnect the battery first.
The Cat. Conv. is in the way of a 'normal' size socket. Use a 1/4" drive with a long extension and the 'proper size socket. Raise the socket (on the extension) toward the front of the car/starter then there's room to move the socket rearward (slightly above the starter and cat) and engage the bolt.
The wires are easier to disconnect once the starter is unbolted and moved forward slightly.
My '95 had no shims.
If you're into repairs, there are some threads on rebuilding the solenoid including where to get the parts. Use 'search' above and it will turn up. I chose to buy a rebuilt.

Get notified of new replies

To starter

Quick Reply: starter