C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help with 18x11.5 wheels & 335 tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:43 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help with 18x11.5 wheels & 335 tires

Alright here's the deal, I'm trying to get a wheel/tire setup like former CF member ROME. Here (green C4 below is his car):

and here's one of many old threads (thanks search!) detailing how he got the wheels to "fit".
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...-fit-a-c4.html
Jon @ CCW was able to find Rome's old build sheet and spec'd my wheels the same per my request. I've (like Rome) purchased new trailing arms, swaybar end links, but that's not the problem. My problems are (1) my wheels don't fit like his and I'm not sure why? (2) If I get the wheels fixed, I can't see how they won't be touching the sway bar!?!?....basically I don't see how you can get these size wheel/tire tucked under the rear fender, and NOT have it touching the swaybar

need better pics, but you get the idea...

My rear wheels are spec'd at 18x11.5 with 8.25 BS
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2009, 03:08 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Sorry I can't help with your problem. But, damn those are good looking wheels!!
Old 07-19-2009, 03:40 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
... damn those are good looking wheels!!
Yea, no ****, wish mine looked like that
Old 07-19-2009, 04:06 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

If I remember correctly forum member "Steve40th" made similar alterations to run a larger rear tire. Maybe he will chime in.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:21 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lt4power- the pictures of Romes car look to be significantly lower (his vette has been lowered).

I think he might have played with the alignment slightly as well as lowering the car quite a bit.

How does the "other" side of your c4 look? I know you're aware of the fact that these c4's tend to have a slightly off center differential (common problem, but not ALL c4's).

edit

if one side is further out than the other, a body shop with be able to correct that. there was another member on this forum (red corvette) how had a significant difference from passenger side to driver side. It cost him $500~ some odd dollars to have it correct at a shop that knew what they were doing (not all shops can do the job, find a shop with a lot of corvette experience).
Old 07-19-2009, 04:29 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
lt4power- the pictures of Romes car look to be significantly lower (his vette has been lowered).

I think he might have played with the alignment slightly as well as lowering the car quite a bit.

How does the "other" side of your c4 look? I know you're aware of the fact that these c4's tend to have a slightly off center differential (common problem, but not ALL c4's).

edit

if one side is further out than the other, a body shop with be able to correct that. there was another member on this forum (red corvette) how had a significant difference from passenger side to driver side. It cost him $500~ some odd dollars to have it correct at a shop that knew what they were doing (not all shops can do the job, find a shop with a lot of corvette experience).

hmmm...I don't remember anything being different from side-to-side, but I'll go re-check. I'm not sure how alignment could make more swaybar room? I'll go lower it, and take some more pics and report back....
Old 07-19-2009, 07:12 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

For those interested, the BS checks out as spec'd...8.25...that gives an Offset of 50.8mm
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-19-2009, 08:50 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Default A link!

Here's a link where "Rome" mentions some "modified" swaybars and control arms. I recall where some had actually installed the early C4 knucles, brakes etc to acquire substantially more room for the "fatter tire". There's a link he's posted that when applied goes to a lost page! I'm quite sure there's substantially more to the fitment than you anticipated!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ce-update.html

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-19-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:15 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Here's a link where "Rome" mentions some "modified" swaybars and control arms. I recall where some had actually installed the early C4 knucles, brakes etc to acquire substantially more room for the "fatter tire". There's a link he's posted that when applied goes to a lost page! I'm quite sure there's substantially more to the fitment than you anticipated!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ce-update.html
Not sure what I didn't anticipate...I've read his postings like 100x before I purchased these wheels. I have the same EM trailing/control arms (dogbones), and have talked with a local fab guy about doing new brackets. I also have the same EM adjustable swaybar endlinks...my problem is (1) my wheels fit different using the same build sheet, (2) potiental contact with the swaybar...I don't see how the new endlinks will solve this. My tires (Nitto) also run super narrow, so I "should" have more room.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Also, I don't think his '89 with a newer C4 body would spec any different...

Last edited by LT4POWR; 07-19-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:08 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LT4POWR
hmmm...I don't remember anything being different from side-to-side, but I'll go re-check. I'm not sure how alignment could make more swaybar room? I'll go lower it, and take some more pics and report back....
As mentioned before, measure how far out each side sticks out to determine if the car has an alignment issue with the differential (this is a common problem with c4's). I am just curious to know if it sticks this far out on "just" the driver side.

I also think that if you work the lowering screws a bit, it will "tuck" in the wheel/tire combo a bit more (as the suspension geometry works on an arch - through the suspensions travel).

Finally, EM does (or at least did-to my knowledge) offer a kit that allowed c4 owners to run wider wheels/tires (like your 335's). I am not even sure what was included in the kit, or what it cost, but give Merle a call and see if he's got any advice for you?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:40 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
As mentioned before, measure how far out each side sticks out to determine if the car has an alignment issue with the differential (this is a common problem with c4's). I am just curious to know if it sticks this far out on "just" the driver side.

I also think that if you work the lowering screws a bit, it will "tuck" in the wheel/tire combo a bit more (as the suspension geometry works on an arch - through the suspensions travel).

Finally, EM does (or at least did-to my knowledge) offer a kit that allowed c4 owners to run wider wheels/tires (like your 335's). I am not even sure what was included in the kit, or what it cost, but give Merle a call and see if he's got any advice for you?
Still not great pics, but here they are. Just eye-balling it, they look the same on both sides. I think that it also looks better lowered, but I'm still not happy w/ it, and it still doesn't fit like Rome.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:11 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

looks significantly better than before though, you're not really "that" far off. It might just take some minor tweaking (i.e. a good alignment shop should get those in spec, and tucked in nicely).

*****Rome's car is still slightly lower than what you're is sitting at right now **********
Old 07-20-2009, 08:01 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

I think it is the different year with his conversion rear, there is probably enough to make the difference you see. I know Jon has made the 11.5 for a number of C4's and I have talked to him about this in the past and he said they would tuck in, I would of gone with his suggested specs for the 96 as opposed to Rome's. Could be completely wrong but that is my guess. What did Jon say? I remember reading ROMES post in the past, but I know I have seen others with 11.5 CCW's and they did not have to do any mods to fit.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
I think it is the different year with his conversion rear, there is probably enough to make the difference you see. I know Jon has made the 11.5 for a number of C4's and I have talked to him about this in the past and he said they would tuck in, I would of gone with his suggested specs for the 96 as opposed to Rome's. Could be completely wrong but that is my guess. What did Jon say? I remember reading ROMES post in the past, but I know I have seen others with 11.5 CCW's and they did not have to do any mods to fit.
From everything that I've read, the rear suspension/driveline specs should be the same between our cars. Jon sent me a pic of wheels that didn't come anywhere near tucking under, and the car had GS flares....I'll see if I can find/post the pic. I have the mods (EM trailing arms & swaybar end links) to make the wheels fit, but right now I really don't need them...the wheels/tires aren't far enough in...the problem (aside from fitting different than Rome) is that I'm going to touch the swaybar with anymore backspacing, and I don't see how the adjustable end links will help solve this If you look back Rome was very specific (and consistent) with how he got his wheels to fit.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:01 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I believe to accomplish what you've set out to do you need to just revert to early '87 and earlier knuckles, spindles, brakes and control arms. Your half shafts, rear spring etc will all still work. That would get you something near 13mm (1/2") per side.

Here's an easy way to get the information you desire!! Here's a Craigs List posting wanting to sell his adjustable arms BECAUSE his rear is "narrowed"!!! Maybe he'll share the information! I'd say he's "been" where you want to go and "done" what you want to do!!

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/pts/1268722423.html

BTW - I didn't use his post to come up with the dimension I mentioned in the first paragraph. That's from some dimensions a friend used from an early vs late suspension for a street rod project. His mention does seem to confirm my thoughts.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:11 PM
COPO
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

doesn't Romes car have early knuckles on it 84-87. which would bring the wheel in 3/8 of an inch. thats about what is sticking out.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:22 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I believe to accomplish what you've set out to do you need to just revert to early '87 and earlier knuckles, spindles, brakes and control arms. Your half shafts, rear spring etc will all still work. That would get you something near 13mm (1/2") per side.

Here's an easy way to get the information you desire!! Here's a Craigs List posting wanting to sell his adjustable arms BECAUSE his rear is "narrowed"!!! Maybe he'll share the information! I'd say he's "been" where you want to go and "done" what you want to do!!

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/pts/1268722423.html

BTW - I didn't use his post to come up with the dimension I mentioned in the first paragraph. That's from some dimensions a friend used from an early vs late suspension for a street rod project. His mention does seem to confirm my thoughts.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if that CL ad is from Steve40th?

Get notified of new replies

To Help with 18x11.5 wheels & 335 tires

Old 07-21-2009, 09:29 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by COPO
doesn't Romes car have early knuckles on it 84-87. which would bring the wheel in 3/8 of an inch. thats about what is sticking out.
I don't think that he ever indicated that, and I've read his various posting regarding this several times...but I've been thinking this might be possible. Maybe that is one of the several mods that was done to his car before he purchased it....I remember it having some mods when he got it.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LT4POWR
Thanks for the info. I wonder if that CL ad is from Steve40th?

You're just a "couple clicks away" from knowing!!!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:34 PM
COPO
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

when changing to the early knuckles you will need these 2 spacers to take the slack up on the late brake bracket and the spindle. if they are not used the early spindle will not tighten up and the space between the early knuckle and late brack bracket can twist and cause all kinds of hell.

Quick Reply: Help with 18x11.5 wheels & 335 tires