C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Turbo charging a LT1 C4

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked V6
There is nothing wrong with super charging, I know people always argue about what's better. Well in my opinion Turbo charging is more efficient than supercharging. A super charger is belt driven and takes power from the motor to turn for example it may take 20 hp from the motor so it can spin and make 100 horse power. Now the turbo charger is driven by the velocity of the exhaust however, it creates back pressure in the system so it also robs horse power. it would be more like giving up 10 horse power to gain a 100 HP. So in my book the turbo charger is more efficient beside when it come to tuning it much easier to turn down or up the boost. I know the turbo chargers and Super chargers have come a long way but back in the days I read an article that someone took two identical motors and bolted a supercharger on one and a turbo charger on the other. The motor with the supercharger took around 570 horse power worth of fuel to make 500HP where the turbo charged one only to 530 HP worth of fuel to make 500HP. This was over 20 years ago so don't quote me on my numbers.
I also have enough turbos and waste gates laying around so I can go this route. I guess it’s all personal preference.

Just my $.02

Prasad
I'm with you wicked, I prefer turbo to supercharging. I used to work at a small shop doing some turbo work on smaller engines. Might build a turbo system on mine somewhere down the road.

Here's something you can find in the FI section.

Company that did it was actually a Subaru shop, but they took the additional pictures down from their site. http://www.forcedairtech.us/
Old 07-01-2009, 05:42 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
I'm with you wicked, I prefer turbo to supercharging. I used to work at a small shop doing some turbo work on smaller engines. Might build a turbo system on mine somewhere down the road.

Here's something you can find in the FI section.

Company that did it was actually a Subaru shop, but they took the additional pictures down from their site. http://www.forcedairtech.us/

this is one that I posted several months back. they are local to me (AZ). I called them to figure out pricing, they can do the "package" for about $10,000-ish. they re-located the AC unit with a smaller one. that's an authentic grand-sport BTW. The owner of that car also had a CObra-R getting Turboed!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:47 PM
warship
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
that looks like an lt1 to me, how do you swap out the optie for that dist.??? i want to do that.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by warship
that looks like an lt1 to me, how do you swap out the optie for that dist.??? i want to do that.
One easy way is take the rotor out of the opti so it just works at an opti sensor, and run the coil wire from the coil to a regular distributor to distribute the spark. You (obviously) need a hole in the intake.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:54 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojave
One easy way is take the rotor out of the opti so it just works at an opti sensor, and run the coil wire from the coil to a regular distributor to distribute the spark. You (obviously) need a hole in the intake.
you also need an aftermarket computer
Old 07-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4POWR
you also need an aftermarket computer
Not for the method I described. The opti is still providing the signal to the computer, and the computer is still firing the coil when it wants. All this mod does is move the cap and rotor from the opti to a regular distributor. This won't fix problems with the opti half of the opti, but it will prevent moisture build up from causing problems with the cap and rotor.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:25 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Id like to see one put together. If you can control the boost I think it would be fun. Neat when it hits and pins you to the seat back.

Think my next build will be t.charged.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Wicked V6
Advanced

You know guys after looking into all the options; the rear mount turbo setup seems by far the easiest. Initially, I forgot about the Independent rear suspension where the center section remains idle. The link you guys posted with rear mounted turbo setup, there are other things that hangs lower than the rear mounted turbo. This way you can leave everything up front almost the way it is. I have to get the Vette back up on the lift and actually check everything out. Maybe I have to lose the spare tire. If you can weld and do a little fabrication you can do this fairly cheap.
You can buy a brand new 60 series P trim turbo with a decent size exhaust housing for about $450, decent waste gate for $150 to $200 bucks, several feet of 3" and 2" stainless or mild steel tubing ( which you can get it ceramic coated) and have them bend at a local muffler shop for a good fit. An air regulator (the one that they use for spray guns or air compressor) forms your local hardware store to control the waste gate along with several feet of vacuum hose. Turbo oil and feed lines, I am thinking braded lines or hydraulic lines that can handle some heat. Now the most important piece, the oil pump to return the oil back to the oil pan. I have made few calls but I haven’t gotten any prices yet. I have a felling it wouldn’t be cheap. You can also add an IC or spray methanol to cool the air inlet temp which brings me to my next question. I was told that the 94-96 computer system is far superior and you can change the tune fairly easy. How hard is this to accomplish on a 93 vette? Can I just change the computer or do I have change the harness as well? I don’t want to go to an XFI or BS3 and loose all my dash functions.

I have all he pieces on hand except the oil return pump so it makes more sense for me to go this route.

I also want let you guys know that this is something that I will do for sure but I don’t have set time frame. I have way too many projects going on at this point and this project maybe 3rd in line. I would also like to run this car at the track and see what she does before the turbo installation.

As always, thank you guys for all the great replies.

Prasad
Old 07-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Wicked V6
Advanced

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Id like to see one put together. If you can control the boost I think it would be fun. Neat when it hits and pins you to the seat back.

Think my next build will be t.charged.
I don't think it will be problem, the key is a large enough exhaust housing, minimum of .96 a/r and a large enough wastegate 42mm or bigger with maybe a 4 psi spring.

HTH

Prasad
Old 07-02-2009, 10:14 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

As simple as it sounds why no copy what callaway did on a C4 and call it a day..... They seem to work just fine. I thought they were right off the manifolds stuffed down where the pre cats live now on a 91 at least... Those elctric oil pumps are on the web though have to say i am not a big fan of them. If you use one you will need a sump of sorts so it is pumping oil and not foam.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:51 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I put together a collection of photos from the forums I've collected over the years

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/f...orvette/turbo/

Old 07-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Wicked V6
Advanced

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
As simple as it sounds why no copy what callaway did on a C4 and call it a day..... They seem to work just fine. I thought they were right off the manifolds stuffed down where the pre cats live now on a 91 at least... Those elctric oil pumps are on the web though have to say i am not a big fan of them. If you use one you will need a sump of sorts so it is pumping oil and not foam.
I found similar scavenging pumps on eBay for $229, I also want to run a bigger single turbo for simplicity. Trust me, my twin turbo Trans Am was a single turbo to begin with then I went to twin turbo setup. After that I told my self, it not worth the time or the money, you practically need two of everything. Unless you are going all out for the fastest time slip, I will take the few tenth slower and keep my sanity and money in my valet.
Hmmmm, there is always some sort of compromise. Those pics are great thanks for posting them.

I am off guys on a little vacation, I will check back on 07/10/09. Have a great 4th guys and be safe!

Thanks again
Prasad
Old 07-02-2009, 02:08 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
I'd like to know how he changes spark plugs.

I'd be interested to know how long the spark plug wires last under that much underhood and header heat.

But that **** looks wicked as hell.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:19 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Not real crazy about those turbos that close to the floorboard, like the idea of the rear mount.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:20 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have this kit on an LT1?

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/85-96%20Corvette.htm
Old 07-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked V6
You know guys after looking into all the options; the rear mount turbo setup seems by far the easiest. Initially, I forgot about the Independent rear suspension where the center section remains idle. The link you guys posted with rear mounted turbo setup, there are other things that hangs lower than the rear mounted turbo. This way you can leave everything up front almost the way it is. I have to get the Vette back up on the lift and actually check everything out. Maybe I have to lose the spare tire. If you can weld and do a little fabrication you can do this fairly cheap.
You can buy a brand new 60 series P trim turbo with a decent size exhaust housing for about $450, decent waste gate for $150 to $200 bucks, several feet of 3" and 2" stainless or mild steel tubing ( which you can get it ceramic coated) and have them bend at a local muffler shop for a good fit. An air regulator (the one that they use for spray guns or air compressor) forms your local hardware store to control the waste gate along with several feet of vacuum hose. Turbo oil and feed lines, I am thinking braded lines or hydraulic lines that can handle some heat. Now the most important piece, the oil pump to return the oil back to the oil pan. I have made few calls but I haven’t gotten any prices yet. I have a felling it wouldn’t be cheap. You can also add an IC or spray methanol to cool the air inlet temp which brings me to my next question. I was told that the 94-96 computer system is far superior and you can change the tune fairly easy. How hard is this to accomplish on a 93 vette? Can I just change the computer or do I have change the harness as well? I don’t want to go to an XFI or BS3 and loose all my dash functions.

I have all he pieces on hand except the oil return pump so it makes more sense for me to go this route.

I also want let you guys know that this is something that I will do for sure but I don’t have set time frame. I have way too many projects going on at this point and this project maybe 3rd in line. I would also like to run this car at the track and see what she does before the turbo installation.

As always, thank you guys for all the great replies.

Prasad

I'm not a fan of the rear set up. There will be some time needed to pressurize the charge pipe, that you won't have if you keep the turbo(s) in the engine bay. I like a linear feel to the power, With a lot of power and boost that just hits you out of nowhere you could get yourself into some interesting situations when driving.

If you are going single, the space where the battery is would make a good home. Could probably locate it on the passenger side front of the engine if you relocate a couple things (trying to remember what's up there, PS reservoir I think). You can get electric or belt driven scavange pump like used in the Callaway if you need them. You could go with additional injectors on a separate controller and just reprogram your timing map, off boost driveability shouldn't be effected, and the additional injectors fuel the added boost.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Orr89rocz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drop a set of aftermarket heads on that LT1 with 64cc chambers or more, and it will drop compression down abit more... about 3/4 point so you'll be at a better 9.8 to 1 or so which is alittle better for some low boost on aluminum heads. Plus the better head flow will make more power with less boost so the compressed air will be at a lower temp which is good. Add meth injection and you should be ok.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:41 AM
vetty93
1st Gear

try swapping out the gas pedal for a cool metalic one, that will give you the performance you need. Don't wast $ on the turbo, its not necessary. a corvette is too fast as it is. I am trying to slow mine down. LOL

Naw for real, Turbo is the way to go, I have a 93 and pushing over 500hp, did tuning work, new ignition (its key) upgraded exhaust, long tube headers, and added a turbo (a remote turbo on rear) so I have AC etc... it moves baby

Quick Reply: Turbo charging a LT1 C4