C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

No power to fuel pump...Please advise or I will have to pay $$$ for a tow

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:15 PM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Oakley~
I replaced both relays now, had the battery checked, and rechecked everything. Ok, so what I have come to is I am not getting power to the fuse box. So somewhere between the battery and the fusebox, something is stopping the power. I have been tracking everywhere, took out the fuel pump again, checked all those wires, tightened everything down, still trying to pin down where that short is. Between the battery and fusebox,...hmmm...a short...All new relays, batterys good, wires/grounds appear to be good...Definatley a challenge. Going back over the diagrams again to see if I missed anything.
The fusible links will be connected to a main terminal that attaches to the fuse box. This one terminal feeds all the fuse in that box. It should be easy to find. You will be looking for an "open" wire near the main terminal. A fusible link is a smaller gauge wire than the primary and is designed to open like a fuse when excessive current passes through it.
If one of your fusible links has opened you will need to replace with same gauge that was burned open.

Here is what you need, check out the FAQ tab to see how to connect the primary to the fusible link using a paralell connector:

http://whiteproducts.com/fusible-service.shtml

Old 06-26-2009, 07:26 PM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Benny42
I agree. It has to be fuse link H. The top link from Agent86
shows it top left. benny
trace wire back from the smoked relay(s) you replaced, hopefully you will find FL "H". It should not be far from these 4 relays.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:43 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Fusible link H is a fuse. It does power a fuse box. It powers the group of relays shown directly. The fuse is the first current limiting device. The link is secondary. It runs from a terminal behind the battery and shouldn't be hard to find.

Last edited by MK 82; 06-26-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

F.L. H does power the fuel pump fuse in the fuse block.
Bottom left of page 2, of the top link from Agent86. No
goose chases sent. benny
Old 06-26-2009, 11:12 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

You are right in that it eventually does go through a fuse. However, before that happens, the link goes through splice S106 and branches off to the FP switch and the FP relay.

It is a wild goose chase to be searching in the vicinity if the fuse box. As I have stated, I will bet that the link was fried by the bad insulation and arcing at the relays.

The OP stated that the fuse is dead. I don't doubt it.

I was wrong about the not powering a fuse box bit. It does but the fuse is after the relay and the FP switch. The damage is done well before that. I am withdrawing the wild goose crack.

Originally Posted by Benny42
F.L. H does power the fuel pump fuse in the fuse block.
Bottom left of page 2, of the top link from Agent86. No
goose chases sent. benny

Last edited by MK 82; 06-26-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:36 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Oakley, did you find the problem?
Old 06-28-2009, 08:23 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Knock Knock!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:24 PM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by MK 82
Knock Knock!
I am working on it. I have been really busy but am going to trace it down. Found alot of "cooked" wires that I did not know about behind the battery as well. Found fusible link and will try to get out there today. Will report back on what is found.

FYI to everyone, Wires get cooked under here. Keep an eye on everything. Shockingly, the wires I found have the insulation completly gone!
Old 06-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Chapindad
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't want to muddy the water, but I will.

Have you checked voltage at the fuse box? I am assuming you did by your statements but assuming is never a good thing.

Mine did a similar thing, turned out to be the wiring harness in the cabin behind the passenger seat, under the carpet next to the rear wall. The wiring harness was corroded, so the wire was cut at the harness.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:01 PM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

I narrowed it down. It is indeed the fusible link that is shot. It is getting 0 power according to my voltometer.

Quick Reply: No power to fuel pump...Please advise or I will have to pay $$$ for a tow