C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust manifold replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 01:21 AM
Matt94
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust manifold replacement

Ive had my automatic 94 vette for almost a year now and am almost done fixing everything thats wrong with it. I have been able to find most things searching but this one has me stumped which has lead me to write create my first thread. I have a small exhaust leak coming from the rear driver side exhaust manifold. Not sure exactly where all i know is its inside the heat shield and on a cold day can see it puffing up from there. The manifold is stock and looks rusted to hell so im guessing its cracked. Ive been looking for an exhaust manifold as all im doing right now is restoring it to its original condition and enjoying it like that before deciding what to do with it. I have not been able to find a stock replacement that isn't used and rusted (if im gonna put a new part in might as well be new and last). Any recommendations as to what would fit without having to do any or very minimal modifications. working with very basic tools here and not trying to break the bank or increase performance, just get something that will fit and let her run like she used to. I did find these from Pacesetter https://www.newlevelmotorsports.com/...w=papehe19chco would these do the trick? any other recommendations around the same preicpoint? I really dont want to put a 80-100 dollar used ebay manifold on it.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:08 AM
C4Newb
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

In terms of "easy" nothing is going to be easier than replacing the stock manifold with another one. Every header install always, without fail, requires some fabrication and cussing. For example, you will need to make up some spacers in order to retain the braces which run from the third bolt back which provide needed stiffening for the cast aluminum accessory bracket. the shorties won't add any real power, and unless you get them coated they will look like crap in a week.
Pretty rare for an LT1 manifold to crack. Probably just the gasket?
The following users liked this post:
Matt94 (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 12:02 PM
Matt94
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by C4Newb
In terms of "easy" nothing is going to be easier than replacing the stock manifold with another one. Every header install always, without fail, requires some fabrication and cussing. For example, you will need to make up some spacers in order to retain the braces which run from the third bolt back which provide needed stiffening for the cast aluminum accessory bracket. the shorties won't add any real power, and unless you get them coated they will look like crap in a week.
Pretty rare for an LT1 manifold to crack. Probably just the gasket?
Yeah not really looking for power and the car has been driven in minnesota winters. Its rusted all to hell which is why i was looking for something new that would just fit in place. Just trying to restore it not looking for power gains. Should i just buy some used ones off ebay? I really dont like putting used parts in tbh.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:38 PM
Mixednuttz
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 193 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Where are you in MN? I'm just over the border near Hudson. I have a set of manifolds that I pulled that I'd be willing to let you have (I was just going to scrap them) as long as we could just meet to hand them to you. I really don't want to deal with shipping, they are heavy.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:33 PM
Matt94
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Mixednuttz
Where are you in MN? I'm just over the border near Hudson. I have a set of manifolds that I pulled that I'd be willing to let you have (I was just going to scrap them) as long as we could just meet to hand them to you. I really don't want to deal with shipping, they are heavy.
Im down, im about 20 minutes north of minneapolis but very much willing to make the trip for a free set of manifolds. Would have to be in a couple of weeks though, my work schedule is a bit crammed at the moment.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:42 PM
Mixednuttz
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 193 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by Matt94
Im down, im about 20 minutes north of minneapolis but very much willing to make the trip for a free set of manifolds. Would have to be in a couple of weeks though, my work schedule is a bit crammed at the moment.

They're yours if you want them. Honestly, I'd feel bad chucking them if someone else can use them.
I work in St Paul, so I could bring them with me (or give them to the guy that has the Minneapolis area) when you're ready for them.
I'll just set them aside for now.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:17 PM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

It's actually not rare at all for the LT1 manifolds to crack.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-cracks.html

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust manifold replacement

Quick Reply: Exhaust manifold replacement