C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel pump won’t run

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 11:08 PM
JD1964
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Default Fuel pump won’t run

I have a project car that we’re using as a donor for an engine swap. It a 94 Z 28 with LT1. I want to iron out the bugs before I pull the engine.

I can get the car running with good pressure to the rail but only when I unhook the fuel pump
harness and feed power from a battery directly to it.

With the harness hooked up, the pump won’t prime and it also won’t run by feeding power to the diagnostic connector under the hood.

So, pump is good but it won’t prime and it won’t run by powering the diagnostic connector

What are the steps I can take to figure this out?

I have a 96 vette by the way. I figured I could get good help here since the Camaro and Corvette have a similar setup in that generation.

thanks for anything you can suggest

Old 05-14-2020, 08:17 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... If I understand this correctly , the engine is still in the Camaro ? … Which electronics do you ultimately intend to use ? Camaro or Corvette ? … At this point , I assume you are just verifying the physical state of the engine ? … If so , continue on as you have by jumping the fuel pump circuit to get the engine running and perform your research ... Does the Camaro employ a VATS type anti theft system ? …..
Old 05-14-2020, 09:00 AM
JD1964
Pro

The 94 Camaro is the donor car. The receiving car is a 1979 Malibu wagon. Sorry for that confusion.

The Camaro does have vats. I can get it running but only when I hotwire the pump. When running there’s a miss in the engine. Not a bad one but I’d like to sort it out before pulling it from the Camaro.

The wagon will get the LT1 engine, 4l60e and any supporting wiring and electronics that the Camaro can provide. So, harness, ecu, sensors, etc...

The pump in the Camaro was actually seized. I had a spare Walbro on the shelf that I retrofitted to the Camaro sending unit. It bench tested good. It primed properly the first few times when installed on the Camaro. But now it won’t prime. But if I feed power directly to the pump harness, I get 45psi at the rail and can start the engine.

Other things that may or may not be related. The key won’t turn all the way back for removal from column and the fuel gauge is pegged to the max way past full.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:50 AM
Nomake Wan
Drifting

Received 594 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr
...and the fuel gauge is pegged to the max way past full.
On the Corvette the pump assembly and sending unit is one unit. Dunno about the Camaro, but if they are, then that points to some serious electrical issues in that circuit. Probably a good idea to yank the assembly and check all the wiring over again to make sure nothing has eroded or anything like that. And while it's out, trace the circuit to see if you even have continuity to the right places.

We may have had the same basic engine, but there are lots of subtle differences between the Corvette and the Camaro, not least of which is the actual chassis wiring layout. It may be better to ask on a forum like Gearhead-EFI or a Camaro-specific forum than it would be a Corvette forum if neither the donor nor recipient are a Corvette. Best of luck.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:32 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Did you check the fuse? A pump on it's way out can blow the fuse.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:26 PM
JD1964
Pro

Originally Posted by RUU
Did you check the fuse? A pump on it's way out can blow the fuse.
Checking the ground for continuity and the fuses was my next step. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:28 PM
JD1964
Pro

Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
On the Corvette the pump assembly and sending unit is one unit. Dunno about the Camaro, but if they are, then that points to some serious electrical issues in that circuit. Probably a good idea to yank the assembly and check all the wiring over again to make sure nothing has eroded or anything like that. And while it's out, trace the circuit to see if you even have continuity to the right places.

We may have had the same basic engine, but there are lots of subtle differences between the Corvette and the Camaro, not least of which is the actual chassis wiring layout. It may be better to ask on a forum like Gearhead-EFI or a Camaro-specific forum than it would be a Corvette forum if neither the donor nor recipient are a Corvette. Best of luck.
you’re right. I registered at Gearhead-EFI. I’ll see how it goes over there too.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pump won’t run

Quick Reply: Fuel pump won’t run