C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Right front caliper not releasing

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 02:52 PM
tomewing55
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right front caliper not releasing

I have a 1988 C4 Corvette. My right front caliper is not releasing. I have removed the caliper and pistons to make sure everything is clean and working properly. I can not find a reason for the caliper not releasing. All of my other calipers are working fine. I was wondering if my ABS box might have something to do with it. If anyone has any ideas to help fix my problem, I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:12 PM
electinspector
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the hose ?
Old 06-13-2009, 03:24 PM
tomewing55
Heel & Toe

Yes, I replaced it with a new hose. I am getting fluid to the caliper. The caliper pistons are extending, locking up the wheel, but not releasing. I checked everything back to the first section of steel line. I put everything back together and the brake is still not releasing. The only thing that is left to check is the rest of the steel line back to the ABS box and then from the ABS box to the master cylinder. Any ideas?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:52 PM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tomewing55
Yes, I replaced it with a new hose. I am getting fluid to the caliper. The caliper pistons are extending, locking up the wheel, but not releasing. I checked everything back to the first section of steel line. I put everything back together and the brake is still not releasing. The only thing that is left to check is the rest of the steel line back to the ABS box and then from the ABS box to the master cylinder. Any ideas?
Presume the caliper is grabbing the rotor when the brake pedal is depressed, so that rules out a squashed/collapsed brake line.

Further presume, while the caliper is not releasing the rotor, if the caliper bleeder is openned, the caliper DOES release the rotor.

So it is likely the ABS unit.

However, it might not need to be replaced... it might just be a valve inside which is out-of-position.

Sometimes the order of bleeding the wheels, if done incorrectly, can cause the internal valves to become mis-positioned, and the problem you are encountering.

Suggest reviewing your FSM or someone's with the same year and do/repeat the bleeding sequence exactly per the FSM.

Alternatively or thereafter, someone with a Tech-1 (dealer/friend) should be able to run the ABS unit through its diagnostics/reset procedure -- which might correct it.

If neither of above solve the problem, ouch -- maybe it is the ABS unit.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:33 PM
tomewing55
Heel & Toe

Changed the abs unit. Right front break releases and is working fine. Thanks to all who chimed in with the info!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Vett-eight-nine
Pro

Originally Posted by tomewing55
Changed the abs unit. Right front break releases and is working fine. Thanks to all who chimed in with the info!!!
Congrats on finding the problem.
How much did this cost you and where did you source the part, please?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:18 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I have not seen this problem for a while on the Forum but a couple years back there was rash of calipers that were not releasing where the problem was the ABS unit. For some reason the ABS units of that vintage seem to develop this problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Right front caliper not releasing

Quick Reply: Right front caliper not releasing