C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EGR Tube Crimp Clamp! Ugh...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:28 PM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EGR Tube Crimp Clamp! Ugh...

Guys,

I'm scratching my head on this one. Trying to replace the crimp clamp on the EGR tube with the TPIS headers still on the car, and it's proving to be something that may take a couple of years off my life.

I purchased a Mcmaster Carr crimp tool as recommended by someone on the forum, but there just is no room to get that tool in there to crimp this silly clamp.

How have other TPIS header users dealt with this problem. EGR may be coming off the car, but having tuned it via FAST with the EGR on there may end up requring some type of re-tune/adjustment, but assuming that I don't do that, how can I crimp this pipe, or what other alternatives have people found instead of the crimp clamp to secure the tube and avoid exhaust leaks.

I have some good furnace tape on there which actually does seem to work, but I don't view that as a long-term nor desirable solution to this problem.

I found this link which mentions a tool from harbor freight, but when going to the guy's website, it no longer exists.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ners-help.html

Any tips or tricks that anyone knows about would be great.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 06-01-2009, 12:37 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm stumped - '89 doesn't use a crimp.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:05 PM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SunCr
I'm stumped - '89 doesn't use a crimp.
TPIS headers use the early style crimp clamp on the #8 header tube whereas the stock 89 does not.

Ron
Old 06-01-2009, 02:44 PM
cmontel727
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I did for mine was use the Oetiker Side Jaw Pincers that Grainger offers, which provided some working room. The only thought I have you, is maybe a vice grip on the handles to give some leverage and help with the room issue.

Hope this helps
Old 06-01-2009, 03:06 PM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cmontel727
What I did for mine was use the Oetiker Side Jaw Pincers that Grainger offers, which provided some working room. The only thought I have you, is maybe a vice grip on the handles to give some leverage and help with the room issue.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the tip. Any chance that you happen to have the grainger part number for those?

Thanks!

Ron
Old 06-01-2009, 09:57 PM
LKoncar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RonRed89
Thanks for the tip. Any chance that you happen to have the grainger part number for those?

Thanks!

Ron

Hi Ron

Search Oetiker on Ebay. These look pretty nice. They have a side nip for crimping. Nice talking to you Sunday.

Larry
Old 06-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Years ago,I posted I bought the correct grainger tool and it would not crimp the seal for the egr feed.The engine was on a stand and I still could not squeeze it to lock down.

I instead used my snap on mini bolt cutters and with super ease,it squeezed the crimp clamp tightly.I had to be careful not to break the crimp.

I dont know what was wrong with the grainger tool.I squeezed so hard my hands hurt and it would not crimp the seal correctly.I tried different angles,left hand,right hand,etc etc.No crush.

My snap on mini bolt cutting tool took no effort at all.Simple squeeze and it crushed the crimp ring perfectly.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:52 AM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

On one of my GM cars some years ago, I used a medium sized pair of needle nose Vise Grip pliers, accept no imitation. I ground the edge of each end to V and it worked like a champ. I still use them as they were designed and work great.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:49 AM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LKoncar
Hi Ron

Search Oetiker on Ebay. These look pretty nice. They have a side nip for crimping. Nice talking to you Sunday.

Larry
Took a peek and the pincers looks pretty much exactly like the McMaster one that i bought.

Hopefully, it won't be a PITA to remove the silly thing altogether. Gonna try that before buying too many more tools. :-)

Good seeing you on Sunday!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:22 PM
cmontel727
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the model numbers:

Oetiker # 14100083-GRA

Gainger# 4E608

Good Luck

Old 06-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Square
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RonRed89
I found this link which mentions a tool from harbor freight, but when going to the guy's website, it no longer exists.
Hi Ron,

If you are talking about my site, I had to rearrange it to get around space restrictions. Here is the link to the intake install on my 86' that includes the crimp connection:

http://members.***.net/effergyvette/...e_install.html

HTH!

Get notified of new replies

To EGR Tube Crimp Clamp! Ugh...

Quick Reply: EGR Tube Crimp Clamp! Ugh...