C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust cut outs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:52 PM
MotorCity_87_C4
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
Warlock?
Yes
Old 05-28-2009, 11:40 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Man... with some guys saying low-hanging headers can rub, I have to wonder if that mounting config could hit the ground.

But, the down-firing config works for me!

Old 05-29-2009, 12:00 AM
tim32920
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for being a dumb *** but..whats the purpose of these?
Old 05-29-2009, 01:21 AM
merlot566jka
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

cutouts are supposed to reduce back pressure by allowing the exhaust to exit before it has to travel the length of the entire exhaust system. These are electric, where as the old style are mechanical (opened with sort of a choke cable) and are less reliable than the new electric version.

The main problem is that most of the time they make more noise and don't deliver the results that some folks are after. There is far to much detail to go into here about tuned exhaust lengths, but basically you could only tune your car to run optimum on either full length or cutout length, and most of the time there will be negative results for the length that is un-tuned. To most folks, they wont care about the technical side of it, cause it sounds mean and satisfies them, whether or not they actually gain anything from it.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:44 AM
tim32920
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I c
Old 05-29-2009, 03:28 PM
vettefast
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Man... with some guys saying low-hanging headers can rub, I have to wonder if that mounting config could hit the ground.

But, the down-firing config works for me!

The only problems I have are speedbumps and sharp inclines into driveways. As long as remember to close them and I take it easy over both I am fine. If not it's $35 a motor to replace with just 3 bolts and a plug in.Ask me how I know

Last edited by vettefast; 05-29-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:37 PM
lil_Mike
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think i found out where im gonna put mine.

gonna put them under the rear compartments. theres a little space you can probably see in the pic there.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:30 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

How do you plan on tuning your car?

Exhaust open and just live with the results when it's closed?

typically a higher flowing exhaust leans it out.

I don't know how the C6Z06 deals with it.

The computer may receive a signal, or they open at set rpm so it's built into the map(s).
Old 05-29-2009, 05:54 PM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merlot566jka
cutouts are supposed to reduce back pressure by allowing the exhaust to exit before it has to travel the length of the entire exhaust system. These are electric, where as the old style are mechanical (opened with sort of a choke cable) and are less reliable than the new electric version.

The main problem is that most of the time they make more noise and don't deliver the results that some folks are after. There is far to much detail to go into here about tuned exhaust lengths, but basically you could only tune your car to run optimum on either full length or cutout length, and most of the time there will be negative results for the length that is un-tuned. To most folks, they wont care about the technical side of it, cause it sounds mean and satisfies them, whether or not they actually gain anything from it.
Just like first time Harley riders!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

For what its worth, I have been running the Flowtech Warlock Muffler for the last 6 or 7 years.... been a good low dollar muffler for me. I have them mounted the same as the stock muffler, but shifted back just a hair......It has a plug on it, allows you to open it up in 30 seconds.....its pretty nice, because you don't have to get under the car to unplug them, but instead just behind the car. With unplugged, the exhaust goes straight through like a straight pipe, with it plugged it does a couple of 180's through the muffler.

When plugged up, I like the sound, and it has a bit of a bite, but as far as performance mufflers go, they're pretty quiet. The below is an in-car video of what they sound like going down the track. (That video is with them plugged), if you unplug, naturally is more of an open header sound.... a little quieter though because the exhaust is still running through the pipe and out the back.

I considered exhaust cut-outs before, with manual ones, I didn't like the idea of getting under the car to plug/un-plug at the track..... and with the electrical ones, I had heard after a few months, they tend to stick sometimes..... I don't know if that is reality or not, but it was enough to deter me. The Warlock Muffler route was cheaper too.

good luck with whatever you choose !

Vid with warlocks plugged (383 C4 11 second pass)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fzWp...e=channel_page

Warlock Muffler Link:

http://www.holley.com/50560FLT.asp
Old 05-29-2009, 08:07 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Beach Bum
For what its worth, I have been running the Flowtech Warlock Muffler for the last 6 or 7 years.... been a good low dollar muffler for me. I have them mounted the same as the stock muffler, but shifted back just a hair......It has a plug on it, allows you to open it up in 30 seconds.....its pretty nice, because you don't have to get under the car to unplug them, but instead just behind the car. With unplugged, the exhaust goes straight through like a straight pipe, with it plugged it does a couple of 180's through the muffler.

When plugged up, I like the sound, and it has a bit of a bite, but as far as performance mufflers go, they're pretty quiet. The below is an in-car video of what they sound like going down the track. (That video is with them plugged), if you unplug, naturally is more of an open header sound.... a little quieter though because the exhaust is still running through the pipe and out the back.

I considered exhaust cut-outs before, with manual ones, I didn't like the idea of getting under the car to plug/un-plug at the track..... and with the electrical ones, I had heard after a few months, they tend to stick sometimes..... I don't know if that is reality or not, but it was enough to deter me. The Warlock Muffler route was cheaper too.

good luck with whatever you choose !

Vid with warlocks plugged (383 C4 11 second pass)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fzWp...e=channel_page

Warlock Muffler Link:

http://www.holley.com/50560FLT.asp

This may be just what I was looking for. I've seen these before but forgot about them. I am currently running headers with straight pipes but I was thinking of adding some bullet mufflers at the back to quiet it down some. The warlocks though would quiet it and still allow me to run straight pipes when I wanted. I'm going to see if I can find some video on them outside the car. Don't have any do you?

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 05-29-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rickreeves1

This may be just what I was looking for. I've seen these before but forgot about them. I am currently running headers with straight pipes but I was thinking of adding some bullet mufflers at the back to quiet it down some. The warlocks though would quiet it and still allow me to run straight pipes when I wanted. I'm going to see if I can find some video on them outside the car. Don't have any do you?

Yes, but it is an out-of-car video vs in-car.... linked below.

I used to have in-car video with them unplugged, but somehow have lost it..... I don't know where it went.

I will say, this track is in a little dug-out valley, so sound kind of travels a bit......

On my set-up, it is worth a tenth & mph to un-plug..... this was only a 6000 rpmp motor, I think more motor could have made a bigger difference, but not sure.

Same motor, but just 3.07 gears, in the other vid I had swapped to 3.45's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AylUw...eature=channel

Last edited by Beach Bum; 05-29-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:45 AM
bowtie350_428
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how restrictive the Warlocks are when plugged. Still cool design for a muffler.

BTW vettfast, Thanks for the pics. I like your config.

Quick Reply: Exhaust cut outs?