C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 Shifter cable replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default 87 Shifter cable replacement

Guys my parking was not engaging because the accordeon of my shifter cable separate from the cable itself and it was kinda elongated,well i got a new cable and i need to install it.-
How much do i have to dissasemble the console ?
Do i have to dissasemble the whole shifter stick ?
Any step by step guide?
I need to remove the IP center since the flasher is behind that panel
and if im tearing everything off its a good opportunity to remove all those panels to access the flasher.-
Please let me know tips and shortcuts if any
thanks !
Old 05-17-2009, 10:20 AM
tgtexas02
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 184 Posts

I just did this two days ago and this is what I did. First you need to remove the center upper plastic bezel so you can remove the console shift cover too. You will have to remove the A/C control unit and possibly the radio so that you can get some very tight access to the tunnel where the cable goes through. The cable is attached to the tunnel with 3-hex screws and some sticky sealer. I removed the neutral safety switch, removed the "C" clip from the shifter for the cable, struggled to pull the cable rod section back into the dash area, removed the 3-screws and then pulled the cable out. I would tie a long piece of strong string to the transmission side of the old cable so that you can pull the new one back through with it. A fair amount of patience and all went well.

Quick Reply: 87 Shifter cable replacement