C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel Level Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:05 PM
calpbs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Level Repair

I have read past post on this topic many times and decided to give it a go. First off since this is a mostly track or hot rod car I go budget or avoid large expense on most items. Never sacrificing safety or horse power. I removed the sending unit from the tank. Very easy and quick. Used some masking tape to cover the hole. Seeing this thing is 25 years old it looks pretty good. I tried cleaning with a q-tip and wd-40 but that did not work. Then carb cleaner made it look better but still did not work correctly, so I then used a fine emory cloth and started getting the resistance I thought I should, but it would not continue, it was intermitten. I have several buddies that work on cars so I collected up a mid 90's trans am sender from a rusted tank. I removed the cover piece cleaned it , legnthened the wire and installed it into the car. I also replace the fuel pump strainer. end of story the gauge seems to be working. It cost me nothing but a little time. It seems lots of these type parts are used on several different applications. This beat spending $275 on a new unit. I may just be lucky but I will take it.

Quick Reply: Fuel Level Repair