C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

weird noise after installing roller rockers - video included

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:14 AM
IslandVette808
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird noise after installing roller rockers - video included

So, I just replaced my stock rocker arms with 1.52 roller rockers and everything went in smoothly. Followed the Intake Closed/Exhaust Open method and adjusted as I went along. After getting everything together again, I started it up and fired right up. Idled good for a few minutes and I shut it off to adjust the spark plug wires. After doing so, I started it up again to let it get to operating temp, as I cleaned up, when a low moan started to be heard. I shut it off immediately, since I was concerned. I then let it sit for a few minutes before I started it again to get a video of it so I could post it, which is down below. The moan could be heard for another 30 or so seconds before it subsides then the idle starts to drop a little. I had to loosen the distributor while installing so I know the timing could be off because I set it back to about where it was so timing isn't set yet. Is this "moan" sound normal with roller rockers or is it miss-adjusted? Why did it go away? Should I check the rockers again? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm just scared to drive it yet without being sure I'll be safe driving it. Thanks.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:50 AM
cshuman
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like an alternator bearing, or maybe the water pump. Place a large screwdriver to your ear and put the other end on the alternator and see if you can hear it. This works like a stethoscope. Maybe you can find it that way.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:32 AM
ROB502
Instructor

Take your belts off and see if the noise goes away
Old 05-10-2009, 08:48 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ROB502
sounds like something is rubbing....belt removal will help you divide and conquer. Got the proper amount of oil in that thing?

Good job on the rocker install.

Good video of the noise the engine does sound like it needs more advance once it idles down since you've got a little knock at the very end of the video.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:56 PM
IslandVette808
Advanced

Originally Posted by ROB502
So does this probably mean that its nothing to do with the rockers I just installed? How long can I run the engine with the belt off? Should I run the engine first for a while, then remove the belt, since It took that to get the sound to appear? Will it be ok to drive?

Originally Posted by engle1147
sounds like something is rubbing....belt removal will help you divide and conquer. Got the proper amount of oil in that thing?

Good job on the rocker install.

Good video of the noise the engine does sound like it needs more advance once it idles down since you've got a little knock at the very end of the video.

Thanks. It was my first time working on the valve train, and I was really nervous about if it would start again. But I got through it with the help from the people on here. Thanks again.

I figured the video was an easy way to show what I meant so that there's no confusion and probably get more accurate suggestions, you know what I mean?

Last edited by IslandVette808; 05-10-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:56 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by engle1147

Advance is the wrong way if it is knocking.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:48 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MK 82
You could be right....but the knock in the video didn't appear until the RPMs fell off....hense the add more advance comment.

Either way check the timing should be checked.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:23 AM
IslandVette808
Advanced

The timing will be on the to do list this weekend, along with changing the oil. But to make sure I'm getting this, its the first noise, the low moan, that you guys are talking about right to remove the belt and see if it goes away? What could be the louder, hissing one towards the end of the video be?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:27 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by IslandVette808
The timing will be on the to do list this weekend, along with changing the oil. But to make sure I'm getting this, its the first noise, the low moan, that you guys are talking about right to remove the belt and see if it goes away? What could be the louder, hissing one towards the end of the video be?
Could have left a Vacuum Hose off.hence hissing.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:25 AM
IslandVette808
Advanced

Originally Posted by MK 82
Is that really knocking because of the timing or is that ticking valves because I might have miss adjusted them?
Old 05-12-2009, 09:47 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IslandVette808
Is that really knocking because of the timing or is that ticking valves because I might have miss adjusted them?
The knock noise doesn't sound like a valve related issue. Yes, pull the belt to see if the moan/rub noise goes away or stays...this will tell you if it is on/in the engine or the accessory side.

Get notified of new replies

To weird noise after installing roller rockers - video included

Quick Reply: weird noise after installing roller rockers - video included