C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Air Filter - K&N?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:24 PM
lite blue
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Supposedly, K&Ns work real well when they are clean, but they get dirty very quickly. So if you really want to do it right, you need two of them. That way you can always have one ready to change out, and not worry about letting it dry after washing, and then reoiling. Also, this lets it sit for a while, in case you did put too much oil. Of course, this totally negates any cost benefit. But if you want the best...
Old 05-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the whole point of spraying it with WD-40, to help trap dust and tiny dirt particles. The furnace/AC filter material I bought is washable.

Make the test for yourself. Take your paper filter from anyone of your cars, blow in through the paper filter, then draw air into your mouth. You'll find it very restrictive.

Do the same thing with your furnace/AC filter (preferably a new one). You'll find it's very easy to breathe through it.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:39 PM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
After years of using K&Ns Ive gone back to paper.

Who was selling an air filter (paper) for $75?
Exactly what I was wondering. Try around $35.00 at AutoZone.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:50 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

PM sent
Old 05-07-2009, 02:30 PM
pitchadude
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

K&N in my 95 too.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:43 PM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by slickfx3
It's a known fact they let more dirt in, I use paper

Originally Posted by Biker
I prefer paper over the K&N.

Originally Posted by 65747785
When I got my 85 five years ago I wanted a K&N, but I also wanted to keep money in my wallet. What I did was go to Home Depot and bought the best furnace/AC filter they had. One that stopped the smallest microns of dust and alergens.

I bought a second air cleaner lid and cut the opening out. Sandwiched the 2 furnace/AC filters in, lightly sprayed the filter material with WD-40 and put it on the car. For under $15 I have a free breathing filter that's doing the same thing an expensive K&N is doing. It works for me just fine.
That seems really really smart and impressive. I would have never thought of that. It makes sense though....In England, they spray toilet seats in bars/strip clubs with WD40 so people can not snort crack cocaine off of the seats. It makes it stick. So, in reality, the filters your using lets in more air and the WD40 wont let the dirt move because it sticks it on. The K&N oil is similar BUT, it's oil and the maf burn off can't burn off the oil effectivley and the chance of that WD40 getting that far back without evaporating would be slim and even if it did, it would be easier to burn off than that thick oil.

Originally Posted by NEVRL8T
Exactly what I was wondering. Try around $35.00 at AutoZone.

Try Napa for 15.00 ACDelco....35.00 and 75.00 is insane!
Old 05-07-2009, 02:57 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought this one. Supposedly better than a K & N
http://www.greenfilterusa.com/whygogreen.html
Old 05-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Pro

Actually the K&N filter is nothing new when it came out (whenever that was). Old cars used to have what was called an oil bath air cleaner. These probaly stopped in around 1960, I don't really know. Anyway, all this oil bath air filter was, was a wire mesh soaked in oil. You could clean it with a solvent and then oil it back up and stick it back in your air cleaner.

I was born in 55 so I'm not that old (a matter of opinion I guess) and don't remember oil bath air cleaners.LOL K&N just improved on an old idea. I one bettered K&N because I kept 70 + dollars in my pocket.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Wathen1955
Burning Brakes

I was born in 55 so I'm not that old (a matter of opinion I guess)
Ditto here 1955. In fact, my birthday is tomorrow and I'll be a lot older at 54. I also remember those types of air cleaners back then. Did not think if it until you brought it up. Don't even remember what type of car had them, but it might have been on my dad's 60's Jeep.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:00 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 410 Likes on 328 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by Wathen1955
Where do you buy your paper air filters and for what price?

I sell WIX, and this is what a regular walk-in (non-wholesale) would pay....
Old 05-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

to the OP: if you think you were shocked at your mistake for thinking an air filter costs $75, wait till you're shocked at how much less a K&N flows when its dirty vs. paper

don't do K&N -- its a marketing ploy......stick with paper
Old 05-07-2009, 07:57 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Biker
I prefer paper over the K&N.
I don't want to mess with the oil.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:49 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes scientifically the K&N may let smaller particles thru, something like 5 microns vs 2 microns on the paper one. I believe the oil catches more dirt IMO. Dirt bikes all have oiled filters. I have used K&N in my trucks on dusty jobsites for years so I wouldnt hesitate to put one on the Vette. After 180K+ miles on one truck, the throttle body butterflys and associated parts were just as clean as they were from the factory. I also only burn Amoco/BP fuel so I believe these two factors help keep everything in pristine condition. I just purchased a new 09 GMC Sierra and one of the first aftermarket accessories I will buy will be a K&N and when I start the restoration of my 85 C4, you can bet it will get one as well.

Clean the K&N often especially when you encounter dusty conditions and definately use the oil sparingly and let it sit for a while before dropping it in and driving. As long as you are careful, you will have no issues with MAF.

Just my opinions, use what you are comfortable with. Just remember you wont buy another filter once you get the K&N.........unless you will drive the million miles its guaranteed for, lol.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Alan777
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

paper FTW. It filters much better as it wears, and they are cheap enough that my car is going to be long gone before the cost balances out vs. a K&N. No maintinence either, just pop a new one in.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:41 PM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
Yes scientifically the K&N may let smaller particles thru, something like 5 microns vs 2 microns on the paper one. I believe the oil catches more dirt IMO. Dirt bikes all have oiled filters. I have used K&N in my trucks on dusty jobsites for years so I wouldnt hesitate to put one on the Vette. After 180K+ miles on one truck, the throttle body butterflys and associated parts were just as clean as they were from the factory. I also only burn Amoco/BP fuel so I believe these two factors help keep everything in pristine condition. I just purchased a new 09 GMC Sierra and one of the first aftermarket accessories I will buy will be a K&N and when I start the restoration of my 85 C4, you can bet it will get one as well.

Clean the K&N often especially when you encounter dusty conditions and definately use the oil sparingly and let it sit for a while before dropping it in and driving. As long as you are careful, you will have no issues with MAF.

Just my opinions, use what you are comfortable with. Just remember you wont buy another filter once you get the K&N.........unless you will drive the million miles its guaranteed for, lol.

I only use BP with invigorate 93 octane.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:51 PM
MBDiagMan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had a K&N in my 88 Vette for about 15 years. I have read elsewhere the same thing I read here, that the K&N does not trap as much dust as a paper filter. That and the fact that it's just a pain to maintain has convinced me that I will be getting a paper filter the next go around.

I raced dirt bikes in the early seventies and the K&N was the latest and greatest thing. The one I bought in about 1973 was an oiled foam filter, not the mesh that we see now. It worked GREAT for it's purpose because we often raced in SUPER dusty conditions. In fact in many cases DANGEROUSLY dusty conditions, because we were riding blind at times just hoping for the best. The K&N fit that purpose very well, but the product it has morphed into is not as well suited for it's application.

My $0.02,
Old 05-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Pro

Well, it all boils down to, how much do you drive your car and where it's driven. If its an everyday car then a paper filter is probably best. The worst part of driving any car everyday is when you run into that road crew sand blasting an overhead bridge or something like that.

If its a fair weather car that is driven every other week end then a K&N or like my home made air filter is best. If I see a sand storm up ahead (sand blasting crew), I don't go through that when I'm joy riding my Corvettes.

Just one more thing. What does get past a K&N or any free breathing air filter gets burned up in one of the cylinders and out the exhaust it goes. What get's past the piston rings ends up in the oil pan then the oil filter traps it. We all know this is why we change our oil and filter. Just a comparison, how often do any of us clean the foam rubber or paper filter in our lawn mowers or change the oil?
Old 05-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Wathen1955
Burning Brakes

Just a comparison, how often do any of us clean the foam rubber or paper filter in our lawn mowers or change the oil?
LOL I have never clean the paper filter on my lawn mower.

Well everyone, thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm going to stay with the paper filter for now, but I am going to get it at a different place. The reason I originally said $75, because I had the car in for radiator work. I had the radiator replaced along with the hoses, and the transmission flushed. When they had it apart, the air filter need to be replaced so I told the shop to go ahead and replace it. I did not know they charged me that much until I got home and looked at the break down of the charges. I was assuming it was "expensive" part, but if I can get it for $15, that is not that bad.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:43 PM
VETTEHIGH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use it and I have $15K worth of engine work. No problems My builder is one of the best and partners with Lingenfelter, so I think he knows BEST!!

Quick Reply: Air Filter - K&N?