C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What am I missing ? (opti swap no start condition)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Meloyelo90
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What am I missing ? (opti swap no start condition)

Long story - short version...95 w/48k miles. Swapped opti last fall (WP died) and have had problems with the replacement since day one. Runs great until the car is warm, then just stumbles / misses etc...Also replaced opti harness, ICM, plugs, wires, etc...just to be sure, still the same issue, which again began almost immediately after the opti swap.

So last weekend I decided to remove the new opti to try and return it, and put the stock unit back in. Swapped the two, stock went back in nicely. Replaced everything but WP, accessories, and intake piece but the car will not fire. Checked and re-checked plug wires, connectors, etc...there has to be something I am missing, this opti worked fine before the swap. When I did the original swap and pulled the stock unit out, I fired the new unit up right after install and it worked fine without the accessories, WP, and intake piece connected.

Car used to fire on the first click every time. Ideas ? I am going to put the 'new' one back in to see if it fires (the one that works fine but then dies after the car gets warm), which should tell me if the original opti is bad or not. Just doesn't make any sense though. I did take the orignal opti cap off to look at it - looked great but maybe I screwed something up when I had it off ? Admittedly I am not an opti guy.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated...very frustrated.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Instead of throwing money at it, why not diagnose the problem.
Start by checking the harness wires are connected properly and then check the readings against the FSM.
The FSM has step by step diagnosing, do that and then run the car till it cuts off and check your readings again.
Not likely, but your PCM could have been fried at the sametime your opti went and PCM's don't usually have heat related problems like the early ECM's.

Also, check the IAC, TPS and coolant temp sensor conections, I have broken a coolant sensor and a TPS sensor replacing things on the front of a engine and also check all related wiring.
Old harness wiring is not that hard to break, not trying to bust on you, but throwing parts at a problem is not a smart way to go.

Last edited by Randy93; 05-01-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:45 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It IS possible to put the opti on out of time on the 95s. I found that out the hard way myself a long time ago. If you are getting spark to the plugs and it won't run then I would bet on it.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Meloyelo90
Instructor

Not throwing any $ at it other than 14 yr old maintenance- the opti was replaced when the WP went, other tune up parts replaced when everything was open in front of the engine last yr. Opti harness replaced due to broken fastener. 14 yr old car time for a tune up,
I was not the original owner and had no idea of the history.

I have heard of people installing the opti incorrectly, but this seated quite nicely (pin at 9 o'clock position which I think is correct, just how other opti was removed) which is why I am a bit confused. I will break out the FSM, just thought someone may have a quick idea. As I was saying in the initial post when this opti was removed it ran great.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2009, 05:00 PM
M. Schumacher
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R&Ring the cap isn't rocket science. Only simple thing I can think of is broken rotor.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Meloyelo90
Instructor

Yep - I'll put that on the list since it's coming out anyway.

Thx
Old 05-01-2009, 06:37 PM
pr1mu5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aminnich
It IS possible to put the opti on out of time on the 95s. I found that out the hard way myself a long time ago. If you are getting spark to the plugs and it won't run then I would bet on it.
This would be my vote. When I put the opti back on my 94, that little mark on the spline could have easily been overridden by a small rubber mallet

When you put the opti on, did it slide on really nice and easy, or did you force it a little? Not sure if the 95's have the little notch in the spline like my 1994, but that could be the issue.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Like I said earlier, check the IAC, TPS and coolant sensor. Any of the 3 will cause problems when the car try's to go into closed loop.

Sorry, thought you were posting what you did after the problem was found.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:51 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pr1mu5
This would be my vote. When I put the opti back on my 94, that little mark on the spline could have easily been overridden by a small rubber mallet

When you put the opti on, did it slide on really nice and easy, or did you force it a little? Not sure if the 95's have the little notch in the spline like my 1994, but that could be the issue.
95 is a little different and easier to get on out of time

Get notified of new replies

To What am I missing ? (opti swap no start condition)

Quick Reply: What am I missing ? (opti swap no start condition)