C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How do you bleed the air out of a LT1 cooling system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:17 AM
boonie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you bleed the air out of a LT1 cooling system?

What's the procedure for bleeding the air out of a LT1 cooling system?
Old 04-20-2009, 12:36 AM
ChrisWhewell
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boonie
What's the procedure for bleeding the air out of a LT1 cooling system?
I never followed the recommended procedure, just filled the expansion tankr, ran the engine till hot, fed the reservoir till it was full, then overfilled the remote reservoir and ran it through some off-on cycles. In my experience, it fixes itself up fine. I tried all that air screw bleeding bunko and only got frustrated. They make it sound like rocket science but the system fixes itself if you give it time and enough coolant in the remote. Just watch the temp gauges - mine never went overboard. If the had, I would have shut off the motor.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:00 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisWhewell
I never followed the recommended procedure, just filled the expansion tankr, ran the engine till hot, fed the reservoir till it was full, then overfilled the remote reservoir and ran it through some off-on cycles. In my experience, it fixes itself up fine. I tried all that air screw bleeding bunko and only got frustrated. They make it sound like rocket science but the system fixes itself if you give it time and enough coolant in the remote. Just watch the temp gauges - mine never went overboard. If the had, I would have shut off the motor.
The above works for me. (for over five years) You have to be able to use both hands at the same time. (right hand keeping revs at
1500 and left hand adding coolant to the top)
Old 04-20-2009, 09:03 AM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Use the bleed screw on the t-stat housing. Bleed it with engine running and a second time when it has reached temp and the t'stat has opened.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:25 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by aminnich
Use the bleed screw on the t-stat housing. Bleed it with engine running and a second time when it has reached temp and the t'stat has opened.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:39 PM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are 4 tricks.

1. SLOWLY add the coolant to the black-pressure-tank and periodically squeeze and release the lower radiator hose to help move the fluid around the engine and radiator.

2. Don't overfill the black pressure tank (keep the fluid level 2+ inches below the 'radiator cap' recess).

3. Put the 'radiator cap' on within 2-3 minutes of starting the car.

4. fast idle (1500-2000 rpms) for 3-5 minutes or drive the car to help move any air to the black pressure tank (the black pressure tank's purpose is to provide an air pocket for pressure and to provide a high point to 'scavenge' air from the system).

If you wish, after some pressure has built within the system, with lots of paper towels underneath, slightly and quickly open the bleeder screws to let any air out (depending on year, there could be 2 -- one over thermostat housing, one under the throttle-body accessed from the driver side just above the radiator upper hose tee'd hose).

remember, do not drive the car hard for at least 3 complete heat-up/cool-down cycles and monitor the overflow tank (by the bumper) to keep it full.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you bleed the air out of a LT1 cooling system?

Quick Reply: How do you bleed the air out of a LT1 cooling system?