C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Are Duralast parts form Autozone a smart way to go?

Old 03-22-2009, 10:30 PM
blackvett09
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Duralast parts form Autozone a smart way to go?

I have 93 Vett. that I am fixing and so far I need to replace rotors (rear) and brake pads. I am planning to use the Duralast Gold pads and get a set of rotors also. Both are the Duralast brand is this a smart choice? Please all info is great. Is Autozone a good place or not to buy parts? They have always done a good job for me. Thanks to all the reply.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

I use autozone all the time lol.

I use their stuff mainly because NO ONE can beat their prices and they have that reward program where if you spend 20 dollars five times within six months you get a 20 dollar reward.

I have a TPS from autozone in my buick that has been doing great for over 2 years, i have their brake pads on the 93 fleetwood that have been on there for 2 years and they have been holding up great. the vette has a IAC from autozone in it and thats been doing good aswell. all of the parts are duralast

i think that they are pretty good parts plus they all come with a warranty, and the parts are always in stock if one fails\doesn't work
Old 03-22-2009, 11:18 PM
tdr1919
Racer

I used their (duralast) U joints, and gabrial shock absorbers. Seem like quality parts at a real good price, and they had the U joints in stock!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:42 AM
shamdave
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost every duralast part i used had to be replaced with an AC delco.
Its a vett brother spend the extra quarter! you get what you pay for
Old 03-23-2009, 09:53 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Brake pads are probably fine, but I would go with AC Delco rotors. You can get them for $20 each from Corvette Recycling, so there's really no reason not to.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by shamdave
Almost every duralast part i used had to be replaced with an AC delco.
Its a vett brother spend the extra quarter! you get what you pay for
Old 03-23-2009, 11:00 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had good luck with their electrical parts.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:07 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I use Duralast for small to mid-ticket items like wiper blades and batteries.

For larger components like alternators or water pumps, I shop NAPA and if it has to be O.E.M. AC/Delco, I go with thepartsladi on Ebay.

I will say the quality of AZ parts is significantly better than oh, say, a decade ago. They didn't get the nickname "GhettoZone" for nothin.'

Last edited by onedef92; 03-23-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Firevette
Safety Car

Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by onedef92
I use Duralast for small to mid-ticket items like wiper blades and batteries. For larger components like alternators or water pumps, I shop NAPA and if it has to be O.E.M. AC/Delco, I go with the partsladi on Ebay.

I will say the quality of AZ parts is significantly better than oh, say a decade ago. They didn't get the nickname "GhettoZone" for nothin.'
Old 03-23-2009, 11:16 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Firevette
It's not very comforting when the person at the AZ parts counter speaks little to no English and you end up turning the computer monitor around to find the part reference numbers yourself.

That happened to me Saturday when I went to AZ to buy two, No. 24 Sylvania pin-bulbs for my Vette's license plate and spare tire marker lights.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

I use Duralast for small to mid-ticket items like wiper blades and batteries. For larger components like alternators or water pumps, I shop NAPA and if it has to be O.E.M. AC/Delco, I go with
thepartsladi on Ebay.

I will say the quality of AZ parts is significantly better than oh, say, a decade ago. They didn't get the nickname "GhettoZone" for nothin.'
Vato Zone
Old 03-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had good luck with their batteries, but the brake parts are junk for any kind of performance application IMO.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:10 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

You don't wanna' mess with their Wells or Cardone sensors and electrical parts, either. I helped a buddy install a Cardone Opti in his '95 'Vette last summer.

It sparked two weeks before it went ****-up on 'em! After that, he didn't want to take a chance on their warranty. Got his money back (after pitching a fit with the AZ manager) and ordered an O.E.M. AC/Delco unit from thepartsladi on Ebay.

Last edited by onedef92; 03-23-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

You don't wanna' mess with their Wells or Cardone sensors and electrical parts, either. I helped a buddy install a Cardone Opti in his '95 'Vette last summer.

It sparked two weeks before it went ****-up on 'em! After that, he didn't want to take a chance on their warranty. Got his money back (after pitching a fit with the AZ manager) and ordered an O.E.M. AC/Delco unit from thepartsladi on Ebay.
Cardone does not make an Opti, I have had numerous problems w/AC Delco parts. My 2yr old coil is failing.
Truth is, electronic parts are usually good no matter who you buy from and I have there rotors on my car and have 40k+ miles and the car stops great. As far as pads go, I have never used them so I cannot say. I have there Power booster for over 3 years with only one problem and that was my fault(forgot to put a heatshield on, when I installed my headers) and they replaced it w/no questions.

Thepartsladi rocks, good prices and quick shipping.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:27 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

I always look my parts up on the internet at Autozone.com or Advanceautoparts.com before I go to the store. Though, sometimes not everything shows up on the internet.

For some reason, replacement parts from the dealer don't last as long as the parts that came on the car. I'm thinking that's cause quality is lacking. Either cause GM doesn't use the part anymore, so they send what ever to the dealer. Or they send the good parts to GM, and the 2nds to the dealer. Just my guess.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:26 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I used their U joints on my rebuild - hope they last.

Brake pads, my $0.02
Street driving ONLY - they are ok, not great. Wear is ok.
They fade real fast once they get some heat in them.
That is why I only have them on my daily driver.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:30 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

I use Duralast for small to mid-ticket items like wiper blades and batteries.

For larger components like alternators or water pumps, I shop NAPA and if it has to be O.E.M. AC/Delco, I go with thepartsladi on Ebay.

I remember 5 years ago, I got a Napa alternator for my 89 Firebird as the one on it went out. 2 months later I went 2 hours out of town. I parked it, then when I went back to start it, I noticed my car was dead. I figured it might be the battery since when my alternator had gone out, it had really drained my battery.

Got a taxi, got a new battery, and installed it. Noticed my volts were still low. So, I drove it to the nearest Autozone, and spent the whole day removing the alternator. I had to borrow tools as I had none on me, and the store was backed up with people, so I had to wait alot to get tools.

Anyways, I turned in the 2 month old Napa alternator as a core and got an Autozone alternator. I still have the same Autozone alternator in my car.

Get notified of new replies

To Are Duralast parts form Autozone a smart way to go?

Old 03-24-2009, 03:56 AM
cwyates4
Melting Slicks

not much problem with autozone for me, but oriellys...

Old 03-24-2009, 04:08 AM
khhammer
Advanced

They work for me.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:35 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

My local AutoZone gives me gray hairs when I walk in -- they are inept, understaffed, and inconsiderate. And most of their house brand parts are made in China.

Advance Auto in my area is a much nicer place to shop, NAPA is OK too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are Duralast parts form Autozone a smart way to go?