C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tokico shock update

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Default Tokico shock update

I promised a follow up opinion on my Tokico shocks. They are GREAT! Took my car out yesterday for the first time since they were installed and it corners like it's on rails. Now my camber brace and x brace can do their intended job better. I'm sure there are those who will say that Bilsteins are better, you may be correct but when I got my car the Bilsteins were shot and I went with Monroes. I have no way of comparing new Bilsteins to the new Tokicos nor do I care. The Tokicos are much less than the Bilsteins and flat stomp hell out of the Monroes.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

nice i will have to look into getting some of those, my KYB's are shot. Just from looking around the web, it looks like Tokico, Bilstein, and Koni are all roughly the same price. Unless you bought them somewhere for less than $70 each.

Last edited by Demonic85; 03-22-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

The cheapest I found them was on ebay from a seller named motorsportsdirect, I bought them from his ebay store.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Chris Kennedy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
I promised a follow up opinion on my Tokico shocks. They are GREAT! Took my car out yesterday for the first time since they were installed and it corners like it's on rails. Now my camber brace and x brace can do their intended job better. I'm sure there are those who will say that Bilsteins are better, you may be correct but when I got my car the Bilsteins were shot and I went with Monroes. I have no way of comparing new Bilsteins to the new Tokicos nor do I care. The Tokicos are much less than the Bilsteins and flat stomp hell out of the Monroes.

Good to hear this---I had some of the Ilumina adjustables on my old Iroc-Z and they were terrific. One question: Did the car ride at the same height with them installed as it did previously with the old shocks? I have heard reports of new Bilsteins sometimes causing the car to ride higher, and was wondering about the Tokicos. Thanks! /s/ Chris Kennedy
Old 03-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

No change in ride height at all.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:51 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
Could you please post a link to the original thread? I'm interested in seeing all the parts you had to put together to get these to work.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
Could you please post a link to the original thread? I'm interested in seeing all the parts you had to put together to get these to work.

Thanks
The original thread was someone questioning the Tokico shocks. I simply added that I had bought a set at the recommendation of a Tokico rep. I put them on during the winter and didn't get to try them out until I posted this update. As far as my suspension set up goes, I have all poly bushings, a boxed vert x brace, and a camber brace. No rocket science at all but I don't race either. I want to repeat that I'm not saying Tokico's are the best thing since sliced bread, I am simply comparing them to the Monroes I had on the car, no contest there.

Get notified of new replies

To Tokico shock update

Quick Reply: Tokico shock update