C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Noise after new drive belt...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:20 AM
Bnowell21
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise after new drive belt...

'94 vette. I just recently took the car into a shop for new spark plugs, fuel filter, and drive belt. After taking it for a drive afterwards I noticed a "spooling" noise, almost like a supercharger, but it gets louder/faster with an increase in RPMs. I open the hood and notice it coming from the area of the alternator. The belt is a tiny bit off on one part of the belt's route, whatever is below the alternator, causing the belt to shimmer side to side. I thought the noise was coming from the shimmering at first, but after i took it back in the mechanic told me it was probably the alternator charging. But it's been like that for about a week now and it's still making the noise. It only made the noise after the new belt was put on, I'm pretty sure. My old belt was in pretty bad shape -- split in 2 lengthwise all along the belt.

Anyway I've only done city driving for the past couple years, but in a couple weeks i'm going out of town 4 hours away and don't want anything to happen. Something wrong with the alternator? the belt?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:52 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bnowell21
'94 vette. I just recently took the car into a shop for new spark plugs, fuel filter, and drive belt. After taking it for a drive afterwards I noticed a "spooling" noise, almost like a supercharger, but it gets louder/faster with an increase in RPMs. I open the hood and notice it coming from the area of the alternator. The belt is a tiny bit off on one part of the belt's route, whatever is below the alternator, causing the belt to shimmer side to side. I thought the noise was coming from the shimmering at first, but after i took it back in the mechanic told me it was probably the alternator charging. But it's been like that for about a week now and it's still making the noise. It only made the noise after the new belt was put on, I'm pretty sure. My old belt was in pretty bad shape -- split in 2 lengthwise all along the belt.

Anyway I've only done city driving for the past couple years, but in a couple weeks i'm going out of town 4 hours away and don't want anything to happen. Something wrong with the alternator? the belt?
Sounds like the replacement belt was installed incorrectly, it is likely damaged now and will need to be replaced. Consider a different shop, then send the bill to the one that installed the first one.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:50 AM
SK.LT1
Burning Brakes

I would check the belt tensioner pulley for the noise.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:31 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

If the new belt is now distroyed, consider installing a new one yourself.
There is plenty of help and written on the subject (serpentine belt replacement). Its a simple, fast and cheap replacement.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:50 PM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by toptechx6
Sounds like the replacement belt was installed incorrectly, it is likely damaged now and will need to be replaced. Consider a different shop, then send the bill to the one that installed the first one.

Also, be careful driving it anytime, as if the belt lets go, it may damage much more than it is will cost to be replaced it ASAP...
Old 03-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Bnowell21
Intermediate

Originally Posted by runner140*
If the new belt is now distroyed, consider installing a new one yourself.
There is plenty of help and written on the subject (serpentine belt replacement). Its a simple, fast and cheap replacement.
Crap, I dunno what to do because I paid him to buy a belt and install it... I didn't have the tools to do it myself, so I took it in. I can fit a wrench down there but don't have the leverage to budge the tensioner. Is there a chance the belt is too tight somehow and is making that noise because of it? Could be my imagination, but the belt seems much tighter than before. Is there a way to release some of the tension on it?
Old 03-21-2009, 12:04 AM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bnowell21
Crap, I dunno what to do because I paid him to buy a belt and install it... I didn't have the tools to do it myself, so I took it in. I can fit a wrench down there but don't have the leverage to budge the tensioner. Is there a chance the belt is too tight somehow and is making that noise because of it? Could be my imagination, but the belt seems much tighter than before. Is there a way to release some of the tension on it?
Albeit 'he' should correct his mistake at no cost to you, if you cannot convince him of that, either go somewhere else (as he might damage something else), or go to a good parts house and buy the belt and the belt-tensioner tool and do it yourself (likely the tool is less than the labor you paid 'him').

Get notified of new replies

To Noise after new drive belt...

Quick Reply: Noise after new drive belt...